Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Members

Re: Basement System Design

Looks kinda scary, when you add the rocks, or even expanded clay, you've going to put alot of weight on those IBC's. Yes they were designed to hold the weight, but not with any span on the frame. You should at teh very minimum support the entire IBC frame. Ideally a couple 2x4's one horizontal, and one underneath position vertically should support the weight you plan on putting on them cinder blocks. you might also consider cementing some of the blocks together, so they won't topple.

Members

i'm thinking of going constant flood in my basement system..

The nice part here is we found our property and will be moving this guy in 10 days. I am going to use three bottoms for the supports instead of the willy nilly fashioned top piece you see in the middle.

I am also going to change the plumbing around and instead of having the FT overflow into the sumps I am going to have it overflow into the grow beds. This way I am not pumping fish solids back into the fish tanks. The only problem is that the fish poop will not get macerated or chopped up by the pump at any point here. So maybe that is not the best idea.... I am not sure really.

So we get a second chance at this build and I will also be changing to a smaller diameter rock, this rock was a bit to bit for my liking. Although we still have plants growing just fine from seed straight in the rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bioritize
    The only problem is that the fish poop will not get macerated or chopped up by the pump at any point here. So maybe that is not the best idea.... I am not sure really.
    Red wigglers to the rescue.... They'll take care of it.
    Give 'em some banana peels once and awhile too...
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan