Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Basement System Design

Hey Guys,

The tanks arrived today thanks to my wonderful parents who hauled these bad boys for me from the front range.

I still have a couple questions about the plumbing, what size riser and header should I use? I was thinking 1 1/2" and the same size for the returns. Then I was going to use reducing T's to each grow bed through a 1" ball valve. Will this work or should I go to 2"?

Just my 2 cents....
    1 1/2" drain for 'each' IBC would be good. If they are tying into a common drain header, make the header 2 ".

On the supply, if your using 2 danners, on one common supply header...yes, use (at least) 1 1/2. I think someone already mentioned this....if you use a common supply header, use a check valve on each pump. A 'flapper' type if you can find them. It won't effect the flow as much as a 'spring' type.

You 'could' drop to 1 1/4 or even 1 inch, if the pumps are on seperate supply lines.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Hey David,

I may try and use just one pump for now and hold another for a backup. Since I am only going to use 4 of these guys and have about 550 gallons in the fish tanks. In my previous system I used a 1" supply riser and header and the thing made a ton of noise, it often tried to pull air from the grow bed outlets as the water passed almost an venturi effect. I would like to prevent this extra noise.

How about the bell siphon stand pipe and outlet size? Would 1" be ok?

Thanks again,

Quote Originally Posted by Bioritize
    In my previous system I used a 1" supply riser and header and the thing made a ton of noise, it often tried to pull air from the grow bed outlets as the water passed almost an venturi effect. I would like to prevent this extra noise.
    I understand you don't want extra noise....but you lost me with...it often tried to pull air from the grow bed outlets as the water passed almost an venturi effect. Your correct, larger supply pipe will slow the velocity of the incomming water.

If noise is such a factor....every time a bell siphon kicks in, your going to hear lots of noise. Each grow bed will siphon aprox 4 times an hour ( or more), times 4 grow beds...which will be aprox 16 times per hour, 24 hours a day. If more then one bed is draining at the same time, it'll be twice the noise.

Here's somethiong that may help...do a search for Affnan / Silencing the Aquaponics
    Also on 'youtube'....search for Affnan: siphon noise comparrison

Quote Originally Posted by Bioritize
    How about the bell siphon stand pipe and outlet size? Would 1" be ok?
    My 2 cents....A 1 " stand pipe 'may be' too big. Remember, your flow will be going into 4 differeant grow beds. You must have enough flow to make each one engage.

Two things you can try...
    First, when your reading about Affnan bell siphons, you'll notice he uses a reducing coupling on top of his stand pipes. This helps the siphon start much easier with 'less' flow.
    Second, I'd put a 1" bulkhead (slip x slip) in to the bottom of the growbeds. Then you have the option of experminting...if you want to try a 1/2" or a 3/4" stand pipe, just add a 'bushing' to the bottom of the stand pipe. You can even change the drain size, by using a 'bushing'. Of course, when your starting out...don't cement anything together till your happy.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Sounds good,

My bulkhead showed up today and I got the 1". I will use one of these bad boys and I am modifing the caps on the IBC tanks as my other bulkhead. The caps are 2" and I found a couple 2" to 1" bushings today.

Here is a video of the progress.

[video:kmhw7owo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCgLSwQlZEI[/video:kmhw7owo]

Edit: Here is a link boss
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCgLSwQlZEI

Later

no video.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

Video works fine on this end.
    People cry because they are sad. For example, I cry because other people are stupid, and that makes me sad.

Guess I suck then.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

Works fine for me too.
    Foodchain, here's the link @ youtube ....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCgLSwQl ... r_embedded

Seems I am having all kinds of tech issues. I still can't get pics to upload. I have had several posts now that just don't take the pics.
    Guess I just got an extra dose of the short bus.