Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Hello from Fair Lawn, NJ

Don't sweat the temp drop. Tilapia are hardy as long as they are in good health, and you bring them back up slowly.
    Mine go into the mid 50's during winter....I lose a few, but the bigger ones seem to be more tolerant. The books/other people state they can't survive that low, I would imagine this depends on variety/strain. Mine seem to do just fine, as long as they have been in good health/condition going into the winter.
    Reduce your feedings during cool downs or cold spells. It takes longer for digestion, and otherwise will reduce water quality faster due to spoiling uneaten food.
    You can't have too much air. Just the way it is. Regardless of species of fish...more air is better.

I have 3 extra air pumps on my wintering over system. Don't need them, but have them anyway. Cold water also holds more DO than warm water.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

Members

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    Any idea why sdanchenko ?
    Circuit breaker (15amps) went off because of overloading: washing/drying machines, 2 x 400w HID lamps, 300W heater was fine until Rainbow vacuum was connected to it.

It is not my home (I am renting first floor and basement) and electrical part looks strange for me, but I can do nothing to fix it.

Temperature in my basement went higher after I connected second 400w lamp in grow tent and 300w heater in middle FT. So with lamps and heater turned off, temperature went to regular 60+ range.

When lamps and heater are on - temperature of water is usually in 74+ range

Members

Two smallest fishes died and it looks like one more will die soon.

Also, tomato plants are showing deficiency signs.

Members

Two more tilapias died (total 4).

pH is 7.2-7.4
    Ammonia <0.25ppm
    Nitrites < 0.25ppm
    Nitrates < 0.25 ppm
    Water temperature is 72-74

All tests seems to be fine but fish is dying. I, think, would I start with Trout - it will be dead by now.

Also, basement got strong fish smell. Does it suppose to be that strong?

Foodchain mentioned 2 important things....

1st, did you bring 'up' the tempt slowly after your power interuption ?
    JMO....I would of done it over a few days.

2nd, Do you have enough air ?
    More is better, not only for the fish, but for the plants and the nitrifying bacteria too.

As far as the smell....I've never had an indoor AP system. Just a few indoor breeder tanks. The dead fish produce some extra ammonia....maybe that added to the smell ?

Just wondering...How many fish do you have left ?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

DO would be my biggest guess.

Also, the smell is likely from the dying fish....consider water change. Pay attention to water temp.
    Again increase DO. If you think it's enough, add more.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

Members

One more dead fish (total dead 5 and 11-12 alive).

Temp - it increases slowly with just one 300w water heater. As far as DO, I have no way to measure it, but I have 2 airstones in each FT ( < 50 gal each FT).

My concern is food. The fish food I got with fish drowse immediately. Does tilapia pick-up food from bottom?

drowse? Yes Tilapia can pick from bottom. BUT lack of food or bad food wouldn't cause your losses like this.
    Water change and increase DO.

Members

Quote Originally Posted by foodchain
    drowse? Yes Tilapia can pick from bottom. BUT lack of food or bad food wouldn't cause your losses like this.
    Water change and increase DO.
    Do I need to change all water or part of it?

Members

check the dates on your test kit.. and make sure you are following instructions