Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from CA

Members

Hello from CA

Hi from High Desert Ca.
    My name is Tony.I've been lurking and learning here and other sites for a bit..I have some gardening experience with container gardening as well as square-foot and hydroponics.I have a GH~ 11'x16' that I mainly use in spring and through the cooler weather..Start most seeds indoors and transfer to GH..
    ATM I'm growing lettuce and other leafy greens..
    After watching some youtube videos and all the lurking I've done I have decided to try AP's.
    Because I have experience with hydroponics, I figured, hells bells, Im gonna give it a whirl..
    I have lots of extra totes/containers and some PVC fittings and such, which I will use before I spend money on a bigger system this coming spring..
    Geez finally!
    I filled up a 45gal tote to maybe `35-40 gals for FT. Have a couple of the concrete mixing tubs from HD ~20gals ea. that I'll use for GB's, maybe setup a raft in one, since I have one in a hydro sys ATM, think I'll try in AP sys..
    Filled one GB with clay balls that I had, and installed a DIY siphon with bottle thingy..I took a few test runs but I finally got it to siphon correctly (F&D)..Man I really am going to love AP..
    Been cycling about 3weeks and threw in 12 little goldies for my GD(granddaughter), and just planted a few plants, just because I had them..I'm fully aware that it'll take a few more weeks for the cycling, but I figured what the heck! and let er rip.Couldn't say no to my GD..Remember I'm a newbie to AP..
    Sorry about the poor pics..The lettuce on raft are in a DWC, and tis why Im gonna try a CF in the AP sys soon..Oh and BTW, Im wing it ATM, so no test kit(ducking for cover)
    Thanks all, and I welcome any input..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Hello from CA

Welcome to the madness!
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Members

Thanks for the welcome RL..I am definitely excited about AP, so let the "madness" begin..
    I was so dang excited after watching all the videos of the raft systems in AP's that I just couldn't wait to get going.As stated, I will be experimenting and learning before I upgrade to a bigger system(s)
    Here is pics of a smaller 10gal DWC lettuce sys I have running ATM.
    Thanks again!

Members

Nice work and welcome to the site and to AP world!

Tony,

Welcome to the forum and to the madness.

Please go easy on the abbreviations, like what does ATM stand for?

Automatic Teller Machine, Asynchronous Transfer Mode, Adobe Type Manager, none seem to apply.

Oliver
    To measure is to know

Good point Oliver... way too many are being used, it's like tiring to read a foreign language.

How's your solar project going?

Welcome

Welcome to the addiction...
    Nice start!
    Looking forward to your progress and pics
    Put all excuses aside and remember this: YOU are capable - Zig Ziglar

Members

Thanks for the friendly welcome fellas..
    Sorry about all the abbreviations , will tone it down a notch..Hey Oliver, we're practically neighbors, been reading up on your Aquaponics 101 and its been highly informative and useful, thanks!
    FYI(for your info) ATM means 'at the moment'..

Hey there Aquatony, I'm also in CA (westminster to be exact).

Nice little setup you got going. It definitely a lot of fun!

Enjoy!

Members

Thanks spartan!..here's a couple update pics..Since I last posted I've started another small sys. 27gal FT with 2-10 gal each grow beds..No fish yet, just starting it up for now..I'm going to pump from FT up to top of a 3-tier shelf onto GB then drain from that to a RB for starting seedlings, then drain to FT..
    I built a DIY SF from a 5gal lowes bucket, incase I need to further filter to raft..
    I'll take a few pics of it next day or so..
    As stated before, I'm gonna hopefully build a larger sys next spring, so getting all the practice/knowledge now..
    Oh and I started the current system with 12-goldies and down to 5..Have no idea where my levels are atm(at the moment), still winging it..*yikes*..