Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Members

Hello from Fair Lawn, NJ

Hello to everyone.

This forum is a real help in getting started with Aquaponic. My system is almost done and ready for fish.

My plans are to grow Trout, Bell pepper, Tomato. I have three 50 Gal tanks (Rubbermade) for fish (prefer one bigger tank, but have to use what I have for now), 6 boxes to form 4'x4' growbed for now and one 400w HID lamp. Growbed is in a grow tent The whole system is in a basement

I have plans (and already got most parts) to extend system with 4 PVC pipes for strawberry, salad, basil and other small plants.

Would appreciate any help. Is there any one close to zip code 07410?

Going to post pictures later.

Re: Hello from Fair Lawn, NJ

Hi sdanchenko, welcome to the forum...
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

Pictures

This is my current setup:
    [attachment=4:1ojbne10]100_1172.JPG[/attachment:1ojbne10]
    Fish Tank, Water and Air pumps
    [attachment=3:1ojbne10]100_1173.JPG[/attachment:1ojbne10]
    Need to wash more Hydroton
    [attachment=2:1ojbne10]100_1174.JPG[/attachment:1ojbne10]
    400W Metall Hallide Lamp
    [attachment=1:1ojbne10]100_1175.JPG[/attachment:1ojbne10]
    Pipes fitting
    [attachment=0:1ojbne10]100_1176.JPG[/attachment:1ojbne10]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members

Additional pictures

[attachment=1:3jjtb1ft]100_1177.JPG[/attachment:3jjtb1ft]

Materials for extending:
    [attachment=0:3jjtb1ft]100_1178.JPG[/attachment:3jjtb1ft]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Greetings and welcome to the forum.

I believe it takes about two years to grow out trout. Therefore, your system won't be fully mature until then. It really requires a fully mature system producing lots of nitrates to grow flowering plants like tomatoes and peppers. Even then, it my be a challenge to grow 16 square feet of flowering plants with your system, all depending on your fish density and the amount of waste produced and processed by your bio-filters.

Also, trout are sensitive to water conditions and not a good choice for an Aquaponic newbie. Producing high nitrates generally requires water that has a constant higher level of ammonia and nitrites that are being converted to maintain the nitrate level as the flowering plants remove the nitrates from the water and this may not be conducive to maintaining healthy trout.

Go with leafy greens for the first year and then slowly add in one or two flowering plants over time when the nitrate level is well over 40 ppm. Keep a close watch on your nitrates as they flower.

If you plan on breeding and brooding your fish, then multiple cross linked tanks are preferred.

In order to get an ample Daily Light Index (DLI), which is the total light received in a 24 hour period, 400 watts of HID operating 12 to 18 hours a day is good for about one square meter (10.76 sq ft) when growing leafy greens (Halide) but not enough for flowering plants (Halide during growth and HPS during flowering).

On the positive side, your fish tank to grow bed volume (assuming 12 inch deep grow beds) is good and should work for you.

Oliver
    To measure is to know

Members

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver
    Greetings and welcome to the forum.

I believe it takes about two years to grow out trout. Therefore, your system won't be fully mature until then. It really requires a fully mature system producing lots of nitrates to grow flowering plants like tomatoes and peppers. Even then, it my be a challenge to grow 16 square feet of flowering plants with your system, all depending on your fish density and the amount of waste produced and processed by your bio-filters.

Also, trout are sensitive to water conditions and not a good choice for an Aquaponic newbie. Producing high nitrates generally requires water that has a constant higher level of ammonia and nitrites that are being converted to maintain the nitrate level as the flowering plants remove the nitrates from the water and this may not be conducive to maintaining healthy trout.

Go with leafy greens for the first year and then slowly add in one or two flowering plants over time when the nitrate level is well over 40 ppm. Keep a close watch on your nitrates as they flower.

If you plan on breeding and brooding your fish, then multiple cross linked tanks are preferred.

In order to get an ample Daily Light Index (DLI), which is the total light received in a 24 hour period, 400 watts of HID operating 12 to 18 hours a day is good for about one square meter (10.76 sq ft) when growing leafy greens (Halide) but not enough for flowering plants (Halide during growth and HPS during flowering).

On the positive side, your fish tank to grow bed volume (assuming 12 inch deep grow beds) is good and should work for you.

Oliver
    Thank you Oliver for reply.

I also see that 400W is not enough. What about 600W or adding 125w flourescent lamp?

As far as growing tomatoes and pepper, yeah I got kinda overoptimistic. They will not fit into growing tent too as they will be too tall. What I gonna do with that seedlings? Does not want to kill them Should I move them to plain hydroponic (autopot systems to save vertical space) and bigger grow tent (96"x48") with 2x600w lamps for now?

I am not planning on breeding and brooding my fish - it is too advanced topic for me and I need to get comfortable with vegetables first.

I thought to buy 21 fishes (3-4 inch in size) to put 7 in each tank. I desided to buy more in case some will die in a process . Trout is my choice because of water temperature - it is kinda cold in the basement.

What tank size and fish count would you recomment for 6 flowering plants (tomato, pepper mix)?

How much nitrates require strawberry?

Some leafy greens saturate with light at fairly low levels, about one half full sun light. Their growth rate is a non-linear function with regard to light intensity. Meaning, in this case, that doubling the amount of light does not double the growth rate. However, increasing the number of hours of illumination in a 24 hour period has more of a direct and linear relationship to the growth rate. In other words, the more hours of light gives you more growth thereby allowing you to reduce your lighting power requirements by increasing the amount of time the lights are illuminating the plants. It has been shown that this is the most energy efficient way to grow some types of lettuce.

When dealing with HID lighting, the light bulb is placed in a reflecting shroud (reflector). The shape of this reflector and the resulting light pattern will determine how you configure your brow beds, as most shrouds put out a rectangular pattern of light. 2 X 600 Watts for the 48" X 96" beds should be enough for leafy greens as long as you can equally illuminate with two lights as that shape of grow bed is basically that of two square 48" grow beds. Three 400 watt HID would probably work better for that coverage requirement.

For what you are planning on doing, regarding the grow beds, mixing light types doesn't seem like a good idea unless you are grouping your grow beds and using different lighting types to grow different kinds of plants.

You may want to consider using fluorescent lighting. By using multiple four foot 35 watt T8s, you can have enough lighting and not spend a lot of money. They will need to be kept close to the plants as the light produced is not very directive and they will only grow leafy greens well.

On the other end, LEDs can provide you with light that is highly directive (at least one brand), meaning that the lights can be placed high above the grow beds in order to cover them with light. This also has the advantage of you being able to grow taller plants without having to move the lights. Multiple height plants can be grown in close proximity to each other as the light is coming from straight overhead, for the LED grow lights arrays have a relatively wide aperture. They also can grow a wide variety of plants. LEDs consume about one forth the amount of electricity as a light equivalent HID or fluorescent. This is due to the LEDs only generating the required colors of light, thereby making them more efficient.

The down side to LED grow lights is the price, as they are expensive.

As far as brooding fish, you may find one day that you are doing just that. As long as you have mixed sex in the same tank, sooner or later it will happen. We kept our Tilapia in cool water and they only had a few little ones twice in two years. We then moved some from that and other tanks into our grow room where we keep the water warm and suddenly we had several hundred baby Tilapia.

You say trout is your choice because of water temperature. I am wondering what that temperature will be over a year. You may want to consider Oreochromis Aureus, also known as Blue Tilapia. They can live in water temperatures into the 50s F. They do better and, if fed ample amounts of food, grow faster in warmer water.

As far as the tank size for a given number of plants, the fish tank should be big enough to house the needed number of fish to fulfill the required nutrients for the plants. The number of fish required depends, in part, on how much food they process in a given amount of time. That, in part, is determined by the water temperature. Lots of variables here, so many in fact, that I wouldn't want to hazard a guess on the requirements to grow a given type and number of plants. Others here may wish to take a stab at answering this one.

Regarding strawberries, I don't have any experience in growing strawberries, nor have I looked up any information on growing them.

I feel you are moving in the right direction and your thinking about Aquaponics is informed.

This stage of the Aquaponics adventure for you will only happen once and at some point in the future it will be remembered with fondness.

Oliver
    To measure is to know

Members

Where to get Telapia?

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver
    You may want to consider Oreochromis Aureus, also known as Blue Tilapia. They can live in water temperatures into the 50s F. They do better and if fed ample amounts of food, grow faster in warmer water.
    Oliver
    I am not against Telapia, I just do not know where I can get it. Does anyone ship it to North New Jersey (zip code 07410)? Also, where do I get food for Telapia?

There is Trout hatcherie (60 miles away from me) and I can get fish and food from them and this is why I considered Trout.

Members

Heh, ordered Blue Tilapia from Tilapiasource.com, kinda expensive.

Now need to warm up water for it. And find a feed locally.

Your trout will die like this. Even @ 7 per tank. Trout do not take to smaller tanks well. IF you want trout, fine...go with a larger tank or better yet a pool or raceway design.
    IF it's the tubs you want...fine....change the fish.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."