Whole House Timer Control

Lately I have been purchasing a lot of timers, well over a dozen to date, in an effort to reduce my electrical usage. Many still in the package, so they can be returned. This is in preparation for installing our newly obtained solar panels and the ability to be completely off the grid if (when?) it becomes necessary.

In the past, I have used X10 modules and a controller to do the job. Since that was 20 years ago, I need to start looking at a more updated system. I will need either plug in electrical socket modules or the sockets themselves for whatever system I choose. This would also require a USB connected controller module and software that will operate on a Mac.

I am open to any suggestions anyone has, especially those who have experience with the system they recommend.

Oliver
    To measure is to know

Re: Whole House Timer Control

Might sound silly at first, but have you looked at any of the Neptune Systems AquaControllers?
    Lots of I/O options, socket modules, and timers... plus built-in web server and e-mail,text, etc alerts. You wouldn't need the display and the basic unit would probably cover everything (I think up to 36 independently controlled outlets).
    It's all about the fish, dude.

Re: Whole House Timer Control

If you are into hands on, you can use the Arduino set up to make a custom control. Not sure about the Mac compatibility though. There is plenty of documentation and examples of the programming on the net. Plus the parts are very reasonable and there are many configurations available. Much more hands on though.

I program and build automated control systems 5 days a week. We mostly use products from http://www.heapg.com. An XL100 series would be pretty affordable. It can datalog to a microSD and it has a small display. I believe it is around $300. If you have any specific questions let me know. I should be able to make something up!
    Less irritating avatar since 02/27/14.