Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Blue Nile Tilapia pricing

Well... he calls it bio-ponics which means pee-ponics for the most part.

Your first baby fish and no pictures?
    Nothin to it but to do it yourself

Quote Originally Posted by foodchain
    Isn't a fishless system just Hydroponics?

Anyway...GREAT news. I have my first baby fish in the outdoor ponds spotted this week. Bright orange at 1/4 of an inch.
    Congrats you're a father!

Well, of course it would be hydroponics. Technically, the systems we have are recirculating aquaculture systems with a hydroponic component.

Careful. UF I made that statement in another thread on here and got crucified for it. But yes you are right. The very foundation of this addiction was based on eliminating excess nutrient/waste build up in closed loop aquaculture. But lets not confuse anyone with facts

No pics of baby fish. I have been extremely busy trying to get bee hives built for nucs arriving this weekend. Hate to have bees and no hives. I have more orders than I have hands to run the table saw finger joint jigs(which always seem to have issues) and the foundation I ordered is a 1/4 inch narrower than last years. So now my frames have sloppy foundation. Can fix it, but another set back as all pieces need to be modified now. IF only doing a few no big deal. But I have 100 frames to crank out. Need to find me a true woodworking nazi that can school me on some shortcuts.
    Excuses excuses I get it....I will see what I can do about the pics.
    Damn koi are eating my lilly pads too, and Tilapia are trying to swim up the waterfall like salmon up a stream. Odd behaviour, never seen them do this before. But it's only the 3" range ones doing it. Possibly the catfish are chasing them. Ha, social darwinism in aquaponics.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

Clarification. This isn't my first baby tilapia. Just the first baby for this season. Rotating stock outdoors for the year usually induces spawning fairly quickly. Not sure due to being in bigger body of water, better food, the lunar cycles, etc. But being outside seems to make them grow faster and breed more. Possibly due to insects, etc supplementing feed sources?
    Have noticed it with the prawns as well. Outside always seems to grow faster.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

Being outside, do you keep the tank shielded from sunlight?
    Nothin to it but to do it yourself

Members

you need to make a jig (or two) for the frames..

You and I need to talk. I have a cabinet shop ion my backyard left over from a previous incarnation BA (Before Aquaponics). Send me some drawings and I will take a look at them and see if I can make any suggestions on speeding up/simplifying your build
    My old man says when it's time to be counted, the important thing is to be man enough to stand up.”
    ? Robert A. Heinlein, Between Planets

No tanks. Fish(tilapia, rest stay oustide year round) only go inside for winter, in IBC 330 gallon tanks with tops cut off....winter here is about 5-6 weeks. The rest of the time they are in outdoor ponds. I used to own a company installing water gardens, had some parts I had left over from a variety of jobs and started digging. Not pretty, as built with NO budget and from remnants. Never seem to be able to afford one of the ponds I put in other people's yards @ 10K+.
    But....I get off topic. It's utilitarian. But works, and produces fish like a factory.
    Koi, fancy goldfish, catfish, prawns, tilapia, green back minnows, and bull frogs(big enough they are eating doves now...I put an aluminum pie plate on the water and add birdseed to coax the doves down. Find if I don't keep them fed I lose fish. Not very nice. But fish are worth more than doves). It's a multi tiered pond with 2 waterfalls at the moment. This produces lots of water plants and still has enough nutrients to pump into another 330 tank I use as a staging tank. From there into gutters I use as growbeds.....then back to pond.

Commander, I PM'd you. The box joint jig for a standard 10" 2 horse table saw is kicking my butt.
    I have a router which is supposed to be able to do them too, but I have no idea how to use it. Not proud of it, but at this point it is what it is. Lumber is too expensive to make too many Oops's with.

No shielding from sunlight. I am breeding for an orange tilapia. So I WANT the sunlight on them.

Not sure why, but UV light seems to make them more orange. Like I said, may not be the light...maybe just cause they are outside, who knows. But outside is better. Light is better...and the lilly pads don't bloom without good light. Worst thing that happens is a little green water, and who cares? The tilapia have gill scrubbers and this just adds to their food.