Members

From (nearby) Athens GA

It took only a few minutes to discover that I love this website!!!

I'm hoping to learn to grow lettuces and herbs year round while farming fish. Can I do this inside a barn with nothing but grow lights??? We need help with ventilation so we don't have it all figured out just yet. I cannot tell you how happy I am to find this website! My husband and I both have jobs but we're determined to get this going this year! I stand in the grocery store and stare at veggies in the winter-time not wanting to buy a thing. It all looks depleted of any and all nutrients. We've got to find a way to have salads in the wintertime...and hopefully sell our extras at Locally Grown (our local co-op of farmers, chefs and customers who want the most chemical-free foods possible.). My answer to that was to have lettuce growing all winter long.

Our family is getting baby chicks soon and considering a dairy goat. We started a farm last year selling locally. Our small farm sells starter plants (still working on a license for that), veggies, figs, melons, berries, rabbits, and worm fertilizer (worm farming creates the best fertilizer).

I am so happy to be here! I can tell I'll learn a lot!

Re: From (nearby) Athens GA

Hi abitcrunchy, welcome to the forum...
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

Welcome!
    http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/s...nder vipar LED
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^My System^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hello from West Texas
    My old man says when it's time to be counted, the important thing is to be man enough to stand up.”
    ? Robert A. Heinlein, Between Planets

Members

Thanks for the warm welcome(s)!

Today we looked at greenhouses and decided to get a small one for now. We've also decided on a 3 tier light system for indoor use. The greenhouse is large enough for a good size fish tank, I think maybe two. Shelves on both sides.

Here's a question...do I need the misting system that comes optional when I purchase the greenhouse? For aquaponic lettuce and starter plants, it's self watering all the way - right? Then we would not need the misting kits?

Thanks for your help!

Members

imho, you don't need the misting system

unless it gets super hot, then you could use it like a "swamp cooler" type thing

you'd need a different water supply for the misters, since the fishtank water would most likely clog the misting heads

Greetings Earthling, and welcome to the addiction!