Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Members

Hello from Pinehurst, TX

I just found this site yesterday while researching Aquaponics, and glad I did.

A big Texas Howdy to all.

Oliver, good job on the Aquaponics 101 series you posted, lots of great information.

Re: Hello from Pinehurst, TX

Hi lsoverstreet, sounds like you've been busy reading here....Oliver's posting has 'a lot' of great info....

Welcome to the forum....
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

hello from Lubbock, TX
    My old man says when it's time to be counted, the important thing is to be man enough to stand up.”
    ? Robert A. Heinlein, Between Planets

Members

Ahhh...Lubbock. Home of my Red Raiders.

Hello back to ya.

Quote Originally Posted by lsoverstreet
    Ahhh...Lubbock. Home of my Red Raiders.

Hello back to ya.

And the Lady Raiders beat the Tea Sippers this weekend.
    My old man says when it's time to be counted, the important thing is to be man enough to stand up.”
    ? Robert A. Heinlein, Between Planets

I'm in Ft Worth, and there's at least one or two of us in Dallas as well.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

Greetings Earthling, and welcome to the addiction!

Members

LOL...accurate assessment Urban Farmer. I am breaking ground on a 12 X 24 solar greenhouse to house my aquaponic system, as well as my soil grown plants as well (because my wife said so...). In my quest to create a totally self sufficient system, I have arrived at a question...Can talapia survive, and thrive on a diet of duckweed and scuds?

Members

they'd need more to "thrive"... more importantly, to give your plants all of the nutrients they need (not just the fish), a commercial pellet food is recommended, but it is ok to supplement with duckweed and scuds (i just ordered some scuds to start my culture).. i'd like to grow enough to provide lots of scuds to trout (when i get that far), they will give the flesh a more pink/orange color
    i thought i read somewhere that they will also boost omega.... umm.. 3's

You can raise worms and Black soldier fly grubs too. Just rememeber, larger tilapia need less protien and fat then the younger ones.

We have a memeber here...bsfman...look for his pages, he's shared a lot of good info on the black soldier fly and even a nice design on building a container to raise them... I've got to find that design myself, and start building one, so I have it ready for spring...

This is a chart of purina's aquamax feed. You can see the differant rates of protien/fat content of the different size feeds.....I normally start them on the 300 (I put it in a food mill for tiny fry) and then I use the 3000 and 4000 for the older ones.
    http://www.fishchow.com/aquamaxfishdiets.htm
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan