Members

Hey y'all from Oklahoma USA

Hi, aquaponoids,

I am gearing up to install an aquaponics system in an existing greenhouse. My husband is great with the construction end of things, and I am searching for knowledge about how to do it, best fish and plants, and so on. I am in Oklahoma, which is in the south central US for those of you not familiar with US geography. We are in USDA Zone 7, last frost date is around April 15, and we can grow vegetables well into October and November.

I am especially concerned with choosing fish with a good ration of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids because of health concerns. I hope there's a discussion going about that and will look for it.

Looks like there are many experienced people on this forum and I am looking forward to learning from you. Thanks!

Donna

Re: Hey y'all from Oklahoma USA

Yellow Perch is the first thing that comes to mind, or run rainbow trout as a winter crop. I am not far from you, and it's too hot for us to run them year round. Do some googling and see what's out there. DNR and fisheries have lots' of stuff out about this.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

Hello from West Texas!
    My old man says when it's time to be counted, the important thing is to be man enough to stand up.”
    ? Robert A. Heinlein, Between Planets

Members

Hello,
    I'm in Tulsa here and would like to meet others in the area to help with hints, tips etc.
    I have yet to build my green house but, kinda gathering info so when I do get started, I won't waste much time or money.

Greetings Earthling, and welcome to the addiction!

Members

Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    Greetings Earthling, and welcome to the addiction!