Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Want to raise fish high in omega-3 fatty acids

I've been meaning to try raising some....
    I guess one could just put their trust in the old saying....you are what you eat. If we feed our fish a healthy diet....they should be a healthier fish to eat.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

In addition to insects and various natural vegetation, you can also try feeding your tilapia freeze dried krill. Krill is very high in omega 3. San Francisco Bay Brand has a freeze dried krill that is 100% natural. Like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/San-Francisco-B ... 2ec3ff7b24

Members

One can certainly feed a diet taken from the sea... but seriously?
    If your goal is to become less carbon-emitting... kinda defeats the purpose.

Krill is as low on the food chain as the ocean gets. It feeds a good many things we like to eat. I say leave it where it is... and adapt your produce for feed.

In addition, cold water fish are a little rough to handle in Texas... unless you are someplace where you can mitigate the heat exchange.

There are a number of ways to do it-- bury the tanks, (messy, but workable) insulate the tanks (earth is cheap... but so are a number of other things, like newspaper bundles, bales of hay... not attractive, but can be 'concealed' behind a lovely frame of something folks won't fry over) or be willing to 'refrigerate' to a degree.

Warm water fish- tilapia, catfish... or carp, if you aren't interested in eating (although I hear a couple of carp species are being used as white fish) will tolerate the heat, grow at a reasonable rate, and be table ready in 4-6 mo. [Catfish, I hear, take a little longer... but the longer you let 'em grow... the bigger the filet!]

Quote Originally Posted by dancinhrblady
    One can certainly feed a diet taken from the sea... but seriously?
    If your goal is to become less carbon-emitting... kinda defeats the purpose.!
    You lost me there. How is feeding krill causing carbon emission?

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaRae
    ...We had a brutally hot summer this year, and it had not even occurred to me that raising fish would not be a year round activity. I had to go to the mountains for the entire month of July because it was so hot here. Fish would certainly not have made it in the 100+ weather. Glad I found this forum!
    Actually, Tilapia seem to thrive in warm water. According to one source, they can withstand up to 107 degrees water temp. What you have to be concerned about is the water temp on your plant roots. Most plants go to seed when their roots reach a certain temp. I was growing Okra last summer and my water temps were in the high 90's and the Okra, sweet potato leaves, and Tilapia loved it.

Also, your system can be designed with tanks or pipes in the ground to help offset daytime temps.
    Trust God, after all, only He knows what He is doing.

Random Thoughts: There is some truth in every newspaper and magazine, you just need to know where to look....
    For instance: The name, price, date, and page numbers are usually always true!