Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Members

Re: Biology Question

my AP is also a filter... I'm seeing a trend lol. I use a sand filter (I think) because it keeps my sulytem cleaner then any other filter I have found and it is alot better, cheaper and easier to maintain then any filter I have found.

I got started in this as a spin off from live planted tanks....I used those like sumps in reefs to filter out the unmentionables from the water...the aesthetics were second.

I got reemed a while back for having the opinion that AP is a way to filter your aquarium/aquaculture system. So be carefull. Don't want to be the cause of any flaming.

All I can say, is whatever your reason for doing this is....enjoy it. If you kill it all, so what? Figure out why, clean it up....and don't do that again.

Never messed with fruit flies. I found easier ways...to me anyway of getting around that.

Did a lot with bettas...but wife got upset with all the quart jars around. I put those outside during the summer down here too.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

Quote Originally Posted by foodchain

I got reemed a while back for having the opinion that AP is a way to filter your aquarium/aquaculture system. So be carefull. Don't want to be the cause of any flaming.
    Don't see why. I grow veggies on top of my 120 to filter the excess nutrients out. Monitoring a fish site I am on and some there are getting into plant filtration big time.
    People cry because they are sad. For example, I cry because other people are stupid, and that makes me sad.

Plant filtration and AP are essentially the same thing. A little more hardware. But from the big picture it's exactly the same. At least ways that's all mine is. The media holds the bacteria the same way the media in a filter does, the plants complete the nitrogen cycle. It's a no brainer.
    The thread is around here somewhere though...rather than picking the hill to die on though I cowed out. But I am saying be carefull....some people are adament that it's about "balance" and not a green leafy filter. Eh...tomato potato or whatever it is.
    Good to see your still here basil....how's everything?
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

A few good days interspersed with too many bad. At least the weather here is great so it helps. Got a few things coming up and getting ready for a harvest of tomatoes.

Got a butternut squash growing on the tank flowering like crazy but so far only male flowers so nothing much there.

What's new with you?
    People cry because they are sad. For example, I cry because other people are stupid, and that makes me sad.

About the same luck as you. Working two jobs, still building house. My AP stuff has more or less slid to a back burner. Good thing these things don't require a lot of work to keep going. Got plans to renovate entire system come spring, but seems I have elaborate plans every year and few come to full fruit.