Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Biology Question

@foodchain Yes, a salty well, meaning NaCl, would provide the chloride ions that would help reduce the effects of nitrite toxicity on fish.

It's great that you are willing to share your experiences and observations with us, that kind of knowledge sharing is a cornerstone of this community so no newbie thinks you are stating it as gospel. Just make sure you always disclaimer it in some way. Folks fall pray to the mentality that if they "think" they figured out the causality of an observation then they start stating it as fact, which leads to the dissemination of misinformation A.K.A. folklore. Often times, it's wrong information and you will see me chime in quite passionately on the topic. Be advised, this is normal behavior.

This may have been your first time, but I think you realize the benefit of doing research and trying to validate your own conclusions using research or science before trying to tell others (not saying you did at all) that what you think what you figured out is the ultimate Truth.

When I harass you guys, it makes you learn, which then releases me from having to harass as much because then you harass the newbies and they learn (don't think your harassment has gone unnoticed keith, refeiller, nice work fellers).

It's a vicious cycle, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by foodchain
    True, I never claimed the source was trustable. Just noted the reference. Starting to think a lot of this stuff is word of mouth more than concrete facts. Frustrating.
    BY GEORGE HE'S GOT IT!

Yes, you have just uncovered a fundamental problem we are at WAR with here on the forums. I fight on many fronts including my county extension and through my university as well as others. Some of us are willing to dedicate more to this war, but it's good to have allies no matter where they're at.

But when BOOKS, legitametly published books state something, especially when they are text books. You would think there's a certain amount of credibility. Screw it. I am pitching em. Simply cross checking data via google is just as reliable.
    I wrote off aquarium hobby books at an early age, as the ones from the 80's are in total contradiction to todays. So the only way to have a good book was to keep buying the latest editions. Thank GOD for google.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

Quote Originally Posted by foodchain
    But when BOOKS, legitametly published books state something, especially when they are text books. You would think there's a certain amount of credibility. Screw it. I am pitching em. Simply cross checking data via google is just as reliable.
    I wrote off aquarium hobby books at an early age, as the ones from the 80's are in total contradiction to todays. So the only way to have a good book was to keep buying the latest editions. Thank GOD for google.
    TEXTBOOK or just BOOK? Typically, a textbook is comprised of facts that have been experimentally verified THOUSANDS of times and there is often a list of referenced research for the TEXTBOOK as long as the textbook itself...

Yes, there are MANY books published with bad information (recent aquaponics book comes to mind). If the book is not used as a text at an accredited university for an accredited degree program for an accredited course (they are accredited and scrutinized at each level) then I wouldn't call it a TEXTBOOK. However, there are books that will often have a list of references at the end of every chapter. I have many such books. I can take you a picture of how it is laid out to give you an example if you'd like? These are excellent resources because the information presented is representative of the body of human scientific knowledge and the conclusions being presented as facts are "disclaimered" heavily.

My old man worked for the fisheries dept in the NW when I was real little. I have his fisheries books, and texts from when he was in training/school. I also have an extensive collection of hobbiest, and aquaculture texts. But am finding more and more that the info is outdated or proven better ways by today's standards.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

Honestly, until now I never paid attention. But your right, even my english text book had references. I will have to check it out when I have time. But if the publish dates were in the early 80's or late 70's that would put the references then prior to that...mid 70's? So that data, while it may have been gospel then, may not be accurate now. As for credibility....it's DNR (dept of natural resources) I think it was. Would have to look though. They are old.

Members

Is Biology a good class to take in college to become a dental hygienist? I want to be a few things, but in this question; i would want to know how to become a dental hygienist. I may either be attending Stevenson University, or Goucher College. So, pretty much the only class that relates to dental hygiene is Biology.

Quote Originally Posted by bsfman
    This is valuable info to anybody starting up a new system! The ubiquitous sunfish may be the perfect candidate for cycling a system.
    Viola!, indeed!
    I've always felt bad about using 'sacrificial' fish for cycling new systems
    prior to installing the 'valuable' fish.
    Too much like religion-in-a-tank.

The sunfish and other centrarchids are "ubiquitous"
    only on YOUR side of the Rockies.
    A bit harder to find here on the west coast.
    I wonder what other "refractory" species I can substitute?

BTW, I'm not sure I'd be willing to sterilize my fish
    by inducing heart, liver, and kidney disease.
    Especially if I planned to eat them...
    Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you're a nice person
    is like expecting a bull not to charge you because you're a vegetarian.

Quote Originally Posted by harbely
    Is Biology a good class to take in college to become a dental hygienist?...i would want to know how to become a dental hygienist. I may either be attending Stevenson University, or Goucher College.
    Biology is worth taking no matter what your career goals are!
    If you want to know what specific courses will advance your plans,
    get the Course Catalogues from Stevenson and Goucher
    and see what the prerequisites are.
    That will be far more authoritative
    than the opinion of anonymous aquaponicists.

"Goucher College has instituted a study-abroad requirement—each undergraduate must complete at least one study-abroad experience"
    That's interesting.

I found an interesting statement about Stevenson, too:
    "Over the past five years, on average, 97% of graduates have been employed or have started graduate school within six months of graduation."
    Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    (Textbooks) are excellent resources because the information presented is representative of the body of human scientific knowledge...
    Well, yes.
    To a certain extent.
    Within the context of the era and philosophy within which they are published.
    Just as the references are born of research
    which ordinarily supports conclusions
    congruent with the views of the funding body.

If you're looking for answers to questions that are truly important to you
    there is simply no substitute for looking at the research for yourself.
    Education is not so much about learning facts
    as about learning how to learn!