Hi, I am new here and just started getting into aquaponics about 2 months ago. I reside in Indianapolis, IN currently.

I just finished cylcing my system when I discovered the plants I got from Lowes caused a huge aphid infestation. After pulling everything out I am now waiting for everything to equilibriate again. Ammonia is high (probably from the decomposing roots I couldn't dig out, aphid corpses, and lack of plants now to take up nutrients). Nitrites are 0 and Nitrates are still +. My fish are in a 10 gallon tank and haven't gone in the aquaponics system yet.

My indoor system:
--Aquaboundance Grow bed 12" deep, 44" long, 28" wide 7.5 sq ft of grow space filled with expanded clay balls (hydroton).
--Flood and Drain design set to run for 15 minutes every hour.
--75 gallon fish tank with 1.5" of gravel and sand on bottom. No fish in here yet until ammonia gets to 0.
--400 gph pump to move at least the entire volume of the tank when on for 15 minutes.
--Two air stones in 75 Gallon.
--10 gallon isolation tank with 4 koi and 1 pleco - cycled 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. Recently treated for ich over weekend (store bought fish had it but otherwise healthy).
--Metal halide 400w light in hood with switchable electronic quantum ballast and fan blowing over the bed on 15 hour light cycle.
--Plan to add handfull of red wigglers once I add the fish to the large tank.
--After the Lowes aphid problem I am using seeds only and have these seedlings started: Quinoa, Red and green kale, lettuce mix, arugula, batavia lettuce, basil, dill.

This is setup in my dining room. It was doing great a week ago, and I was ready to add this fish to this system until I saw the thousands of aphids and some Ich on the Koi..ugh. Hopefully in a week or two I will be ready to add the fish.

Any suggestions to a newbie are welcome. Thank you.