Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Questions about recordkeeping

My guess is that the commercial growers aren't doing it, yet. Sooner or later it will not be cost prohibitive based on the possible returns that could be gained by tracking such data and doing such research. Lots of possibles here. I know from reading that commercial operations are not that prevalent. It seems that hydroponic commercial operations are much more likely to be the norm. Couple of possible reasons. It may be that the research and known data make it much easier to set up and operate a hydroponics operation. Another reason may be that it is more difficult to keep really large scale aquaponics systems in balance and operating efficiently. Another might be that produce growers are not fish farmers and crossing the line into a new operation may not be attractive. In any case, I am firmly convinced that aquaponics is a viable alternative to either hydropnics or soil gardening. I am also well on my way to believing that there is a future in not only larger scale operations but the infrastructure, including research, hard data, and the equipment and software, to manage large scale operations.
    My old man says when it's time to be counted, the important thing is to be man enough to stand up.”
    ? Robert A. Heinlein, Between Planets

Quote Originally Posted by commander
    Another reason may be that it is more difficult to keep really large scale aquaponics systems in balance and operating efficiently.
    Actually, I think the opposite holds true in the case of this particular reason. As the size of an aquaponics system increases, so too does the systems homeostasis. Most people who have kept aquariums will agree it's much easier to maintain, say a 55 gallon aquarium, than it is a 10 gallon aquarium.

Economy of scale also becomes a factor - rendering large systems more cost efficient on a unit cost basis.

In any case, I am firmly convinced that aquaponics is a viable alternative to either hydropnics or soil gardening. I am also well on my way to believing that there is a future in not only larger scale operations but the infrastructure, including research, hard data, and the equipment and software, to manage large scale operations.
    I couldn't agree with you more!

Members

DO can be measured fairly inexpensively with a sensor..
    but again, with most sensors, frequent calibration is required.. here's a good read on microcontrolers in aquaculture, touching on record keeping;
    http://www.extension.org/mediawiki/file ... in_RAS.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by bsfman
    Another reason may be that it is more difficult to keep really large scale aquaponics systems in balance and operating efficiently.
    Actually, I think the opposite holds true in the case of this particular reason. As the size of an aquaponics system increases, so too does the systems homeostasis. Most people who have kept aquariums will agree it's much easier to maintain, say a 55 gallon aquarium, than it is a 10 gallon aquarium.

Economy of scale also becomes a factor - rendering large systems more cost efficient on a unit cost basis.
    You could be right. It does hold true for other systems. Size can act as a buffer for change in many large process systems.
    My old man says when it's time to be counted, the important thing is to be man enough to stand up.”

Quote Originally Posted by keith_r
    DO can be measured fairly inexpensively with a sensor..
    but again, with most sensors, frequent calibration is required.. here's a good read on microcontrolers in aquaculture, touching on record keeping;
    http://www.extension.org/mediawiki/file ... in_RAS.pdf

Thanks for the link and the information.