Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow growth

Slow growth

100 gallon fish pond. 32x24x12 GB with gravel. Fill time 5 minutes 45 seconds. Drain time 1 minute 43 seconds.
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite < 1 ppm
    Nitrate > 80 ppm
    PH 7.0
    Plants show very slow growth but pepper has a bud on it. Lots of ants and metallic green flies.

Tub sitting in tank top inside has approximately same parameters but explosive growth.

Have not seen any aphids or any other insect other than those listed.

Obviously something is wrong and since my knowledge currently leans toward fish.............
    HELP!
    People cry because they are sad. For example, I cry because other people are stupid, and that makes me sad.

Re: Slow growth

Good Afternoon...
    I didn't see any mention of light source. Are these outside? Is one getting more light than the other...this is usually my problem.
    What is your stocking density?
    Are you feeding a commercial food? Any additives? Alot of them have odd stuff in them, usually used as fillers. Medicated food?
    Just fishing for any info I can here in an effort to help you out.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

Please provide more information on the plants. What kind of plants? What are they sitting in? What do they look like? A few GOOD pictures may be worth several thousand words.

The GB is outside receiving sunlight. Fed a commercial brand pellet and fresh vegetation. 10 koi ranging from 4-7 inches plus 10 comets ranging from 2-5 inches. Plants are a bell pepper(has a bud on it), 3 small tomato plants, a loofah, some basil and some lettuce.

As an example, tomato plants were all put in at same time. At about 3 inches tall one was moved indoors to the tank top. The ones outside are maybe 5 inches, the one inside is over a foot.
    People cry because they are sad. For example, I cry because other people are stupid, and that makes me sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Basil1
    The GB is outside receiving sunlight. Fed a commercial brand pellet and fresh vegetation. 10 koi ranging from 4-7 inches plus 10 comets ranging from 2-5 inches. Plants are a bell pepper(has a bud on it), 3 small tomato plants, a loofah, some basil and some lettuce.

As an example, tomato plants were all put in at same time. At about 3 inches tall one was moved indoors to the tank top. The ones outside are maybe 5 inches, the one inside is over a foot.
    Since you are in Florida (although you're in Tampa) the likely cause is the temperature differences between outside/inside.

If you can be more specific on the things going wrong with the plants, I can give more ideas. No signs of nutrient deficiency or disease? You had mentioned no pests; so, I won't ask that.

Are they the same cultivar of tomato? Genetics can affect their differences as well. Also, maybe the one inside is getting better nutrients or DO or bacteria/fungi? Soooo many factors. The easiest ones are temperature, pests, nutrient problems. From there it's a crapshoot without actually being there.

Inside one are constantly in water, controlled temp and no bugs of any kind. But weather has been pretty steady here so not a big change. Some of the leaves have died or yellowed. Same batch of seeds on plants. As to pests just the millions of ants and flies.

In terrestrials, doesn't iron and potasium or maybe potash.....anyway I thought those effected the color of the leaves, and shortages caused the yellowing and leaf drop. I know this isn't terestrials. But if it was a nutrient problem, wouldn't both GB be effected assuming varieties are the same, as both beds are fed from same source? Just thinking out loud.
    What media are you using? If it's not the same in both beds, could something be leaching out of the one that's not performing? And since the other bed is further from the source, it not being effected as much? I used gravel from the stone yard once, and it turned my water all milky, took me a long time to finally figure out the cuase.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

Only one gb. The other is a tub sitting on top of my aquarium. GB is gravel, the tub has cups with hydroton.

I am favoring light then. Outside would be getting full spectrum, where inside probably isn't. But I am making a guess at best....a total shot in the dark. I am gonna agree with urban farmer on this one. There's something happening with one, that isn't effecting the other. We know it's not the water/fish/food isn't likely. What do you think? I am not giving any advice, just looking to discuss this....and maybe process of elimination. I wouldn't think a nutrient issue, as that would effect both. Beats me....what do you think?

I would think if lack of lighting the one getting sunlight would be better. Maybe not getting enough nutrients with flood and drain as opposed to constant root immersion. Now the tank did have higher nitrate levels to begin with but has come down to same level as pond. That may be it but just seems an extreme difference.