Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slow growth

Re: Slow growth

I am sorry, I didn't understand your layout. Finding I read things too fast, and miss stuff. Odd never really had this problem before. Sorry man, I just don't know plants that well. I know lots about aquaculture...but only been into plants now a couple years.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

Quote Originally Posted by Basil1
    I would think if lack of lighting the one getting sunlight would be better. Maybe not getting enough nutrients with flood and drain as opposed to constant root immersion. Now the tank did have higher nitrate levels to begin with but has come down to same level as pond. That may be it but just seems an extreme difference.
    I'm still struggling just to get an understanding of what your setup is like. I was assuming they were all part of the same system, did I assume wrong?

Are ALL the plants doing better inside than outside or are some doing about the same? I would expect during this time of year for the indoor plants of everything you mentioned except maybe the lettuce, to be doing better. However, I would imagine your night time temps are not hitting in the 40's down there, or are they? It could be the difference in the lighting regime as well. The bottom line is that unless something drastic is going on, there are just too many variables and there is too little data to figure this one out.

One other thought, maybe the indoor plants like watching TV?

Sorry for the delay in answering, had a couple of bad days. Two seperate systems. The outdoor one is doing poorly compared to the indoor one. Staying in the mid to high 60's most nights, occasionally to the 50's. Biggest issue may be the ants. Had a bell pepper flower start to open. Ants covered it and ate everything non green. Working on getting rid of them now.

No tv in that room so not it. Perhaps it's the direct communication with the fish.
    People cry because they are sad. For example, I cry because other people are stupid, and that makes me sad.

Looks like I was just being impatient. Things are growing well now but still fighting ants. Using food grade DE but seems to work very slow. Could just be the amount of ants I have. Anyone have an anteater for rent?
    People cry because they are sad. For example, I cry because other people are stupid, and that makes me sad.

Looks like I was just being impatient. Things are growing well now but still fighting ants. Using food grade DE but seems to work very slow. Could just be the amount of ants I have. Anyone have an anteater for rent?
    I got all kinds of these guys, and they seem to keep all the other critters away:

This is not from my garden, but it looks exactly like this.

The bugs literally find any fruiting plant and guard it by the dozens. I love these little bugs. I bet most people destroy them when they find them on their plants, but I have had NO PEST PROBLEMS since they built armies around my garden. The things put lady bugs to shame. Well... actually... they eat lady bugs too I think...

I have about 200 tomatoes growing right now. HURRY UP TOMATO PLANTS!!!

Wht the hell are those things?

Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    I got all kinds of these guys, and they seem to keep all the other critters away:

This is not from my garden, but it looks exactly like this.

The bugs literally find any fruiting plant and guard it by the dozens. I love these little bugs. I bet most people destroy them when they find them on their plants, but I have had NO PEST PROBLEMS since they built armies around my garden. The things put lady bugs to shame. Well... actually... they eat lady bugs too I think...

I have about 200 tomatoes growing right now. HURRY UP TOMATO PLANTS!!!
    My old man says when it's time to be counted, the important thing is to be man enough to stand up.”
    ? Robert A. Heinlein, Between Planets

Again, what are those things? Plant growth has exploded, I was just impatient. Got cherry tomatoes popping out like crazy as well as basil, lettuce and butternut. Still fighting the ants on the flowers but they don't touch the tomatoes.
    As a side note, the butternut squash in the fish tank is flowering like crazy. Been waiting to do some hand pollinating and start getting squash. Read that male flowers are more prolific and start earlier. In about 30 flowers there has not been a single female bloom. Been a couple that looked like they were forming but never got large, just withered. Possible reasons why?

Interesting looking bug. I think I've seen them around before but on flower plants out front. They seemed to keep close to each other, moving as a group. Since they didn't seem to be hurting the flowers, I didn't have any problem with them.
    Nothin to it but to do it yourself

Again, what are those things? Plant growth has exploded, I was just impatient. Got cherry tomatoes popping out like crazy as well as basil, lettuce and butternut. Still fighting the ants on the flowers but they don't touch the tomatoes.
    As a side note, the butternut squash in the fish tank is flowering like crazy. Been waiting to do some hand pollinating and start getting squash. Read that male flowers are more prolific and start earlier. In about 30 flowers there has not been a single female bloom. Been a couple that looked like they were forming but never got large, just withered. Possible reasons why?
    My best guess is...

Kingdom Animalia (Animals)
    Phylum Arthropoda (Arthropods)
    Class Insecta (Insects)
    Order Hemiptera (True Bugs, Cicadas, Hoppers, Aphids and Allies)
    Suborder Heteroptera (True Bugs)
    Family Reduviidae (Assassin Bugs)
    Subfamily Harpactorinae
    Genus Zelus
    Species longipes (Milkweed Assassin Bug)

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/in883

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/ben ... ipes17.htm

[/quote]
    My best guess is...

Kingdom Animalia (Animals)
    Phylum Arthropoda (Arthropods)
    Class Insecta (Insects)
    Order Hemiptera (True Bugs, Cicadas, Hoppers, Aphids and Allies)
    Suborder Heteroptera (True Bugs)
    Family Reduviidae (Assassin Bugs)
    Subfamily Harpactorinae
    Genus Zelus
    Species longipes (Milkweed Assassin Bug)

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/in883

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/ben ... ipes17.htm[/quote]

Have not seen any around. Interesting but did not see where ants were on the menu.