Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Peas and Nitrites

Quote Originally Posted by foodchain
    I need to do some research on this, the book I have states differently. I will return to this once I have all of my data. And I apologize if I gave anyone the wrong info, that was not my intention. What I did provide is a combination of what I have done, and what I am reading here. I suppose it's an older book, but I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with the chemical make up of salt. Either way, I have pm'd you on this as well. The only problems I have ever had was with table salt, book aside...that's the truth. Or at least I think it was the salt that was the cause, as the symptoms were releived as a direct result of adding "epsom salt", but intensified and mortality when added table salt. I must confess though that this has me puzzled and will have to broaded this out. Again...my intention was not to mislead anyone. Just about 3 weeks ago, I had the exact same problem, and resolved it with this method. I will return with the data to sort this out.
    We are ALL here to learn from EACH OTHER. That's the purpose of a community. No harm done, but hopefully much was gained!

I found the problem. It's the terms. We are saying the same thing, I just have them backwards. Not sure why table salt doesn't work for me though, also I am not sure what kind of salt the wife buys....whatever it is, it doesn't mix well with my tanks. I may need to set up another set of tanks, and test that out and see if there's a tolerance level.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

Members

Thank you for the quick replies! I turned down my temp to 78 in the tank, added another air stone and I'm going to dose with salt. I have a bunch of non-iodized salt from pickling/cheese making so that shouldn't be an issue.

Would you folks mind checking my math just to make sure I'm correct? I'll follow this post with another once I have a little time to figure out the dosing.
    All men are equal before fish.
    Herbert Hoover

Members

Ok. One issues I have is... I have no way of measuring the existing chloride in the tank. I would assume that since my water was out of the tap and dechlorinated that it would be zero? Or does tap water generally contain chloride as well?
    Herbert Hoover

You said these are Tilapia? I would lower to about 75 degrees, slooowwlllly. I can't calculate your dose, as I don't know how many gallons of water you have. I have you should see change in behavior after about 30 minutes of having added more air. It doesn't take long to see improvement. Maybe not a total fix, but at least an improvement. When I am having a really hard time, I put a 20 inch box fan blowing acrossed the top of the tank. Not sure if this does anything but the logic I use, is that I am changing the air out over the surface, allowing fresher air to come in contact with surface. The more surface area you have the better the gas exchange. Not sure if perceived or real, but I think this helps some too.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

I would imagine it has some, but that would depend on where your municipal water comes from. At this point, I don't think it matters....this is more art than science in my opinion....mostly as I suck at the science part and rely more on trial and error. Any salt that you do have in your water, isn't enough...simple as that. Unless you are living in brackish coastal waters. Keep in mind, this is more of a band aid. Not a fix all. This helps to buy you time, hopefully enough for the bacteria and like to balance you out. Good news, improving your water quality, increasing DO and increase filter area/bed area as this works as a filter, will make this problem go away on it's own in time. This more or less treats the symptoms. I am sure UrbanFarmer can tell you lot's more than I can about the actual science part of it. But as I said, I literaly just went through this. While what I do probably isn't the easiest, best, or the smartest. It does work and has for years.

Add salt slowly, over time....best to mix in some tank water first rather than just dumping into system, this allows salt to dissolve instead of having a huge lump of salty goo in a corner.

Members

Ok. I attempted the math and quite frankly I don't think I understand it enough to feel comfortable using any numbers I came up with. In fact, I'm probably just plain wrong. So...

I'm assuming a Chloride of 0 and my tank volume is approximately 140 Gal. Can anyone help with producing a number of oz of salt to use?
    Herbert Hoover

Members

Thanks. I realize that Nitrobacter takes a lot longer to establish in a biofilter. The surface area of my filter is rated up to 800 gallons (I went big so I can expand the system someday) so that's not the issue. I just don't want to lose any more fish.

Unfortunately when I planned my system I purchased 25 Tilapia and the goof I bought them from sent me 64. So I realize I have way too many fish for the gallons I have but I thought I could get away with it until they got bigger/I could build a larger tank.

I have only lost 4 of the smallest fish in the last two months so I figure I've done well to this point.
    Herbert Hoover

Double check me...as I have already proven one flub up today.
    But 16 oz = 1 lb
    Assuming we are using 4 oz/gallon MAX. And assuming you have 0 now.
    140 gallons of water.

4 oz * 140 gallons = 560 oz. 560 divided by 16 oz = 35 lbs MAX. I would start off with much less.
    Like maybe 5 lbs. Mix lightly with lots of water and slowly introduce to system.
    I weighed mine out by the lb, and dosed at 1 handfull every 30 minutes in a 325 gallon tank with heavy aeriation. Maybe there's a better way to do it...I don't know. So don't crucify me....this is just what I did.