Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Size?

Re: Size?

Quote Originally Posted by foodchain
    Maybe a typo, or I am reading wrong. But your two statements appear to be in contradiction. White tilapia by definition are tilapia...you stated that they are not "pure" as they were crossed and genes added. So what where they crossed with? I believe it's Miami Aqua-culture, Inc that claims to have the white one, from line breeding. Not hybridizing. Hybridizing would be between two species....I don't think mine are albino, as they have color in the fins. True albino would have abcense of color pigment wouldn't it? Or am I forgetting my biology.
    OH, I see the problem. Yes, when I said crossed I didn't mean crossed with other species just other parents of the same species with distinct traits. We cross, like in the example, the pigment with a dominant and recessive with another parent who also has a dominant and recessive. Then we take the offspring with the double recessive (and now phenotypic trait) and cross them with each other to produce all our white tilapia. That's just an example, I have no idea how many actual genes are involved in the pigmentation.

Here is a good source: http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/

Okay, but then doesn't that prove what I said about line breeding? Breeding back to previous generations to improve the chance of a given trait. So...if you are breeding back on the line, does that not make it purer? Just a thought. Guess no one here really eats their tilapia...or the thread is not of an enlightening enough subject
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

Quote Originally Posted by foodchain
    Okay, but then doesn't that prove what I said about line breeding? Breeding back to previous generations to improve the chance of a given trait. So...if you are breeding back on the line, does that not make it purer? Just a thought. Guess no one here really eats their tilapia...or the thread is not of an enlightening enough subject
    It doesn't make it more pure. It just keeps it the same. It's either pure or not pure!