Members

Aeroponics with Aquaponics?

I've read and have been told this is a bad idea... are there any systems or people that have successfully done this? What are some ways to mitigate some of the problems (i.e. the organic film and clogging of the misters)?

Members

Re: Aeroponics with Aquaponics?

The problems of clogging are going to be a PIA. I think maybe a nozzle with a jet of air blasting through a film of nutrient might work as the air atomizes some fluid but I only have used that for burning dirty oil. Babington atomizer is what they are called. I think it would not be easy to make it work but if someone took the time to run the lines of air and nutrient to multiple sprayers maybe it would work.

Quote Originally Posted by sendthis
    I've read and have been told this is a bad idea... are there any systems or people that have successfully done this? What are some ways to mitigate some of the problems (i.e. the organic film and clogging of the misters)?
    I wonder if the people who told you to try it had tried it themselves?

Anyway, PLEASE give it a try and keep us posted! Everyone here will try to help you when you run into problems.

I could be way off base here. BUT. IF the particle size is the problem clogging up the system, why can't you run the water through a screen system, like reefers do with a "filter sock" on their wet dry systems? OR run a DE filter as this is meant to be a water polisher and is designed to specifically remove minute particles. Would a Screen Filter reduce this as well? May reduce the nitrates and such too much though. A canister filter may work, with an extra fine filter sleeve to stop the finer particles, but the finer you go the more you have to clean it as it will plug up faster.
    I have a HUGE amount of success polishing water down by passing the return lines through quilt batting (non biodegradable). I have even filtered out 'green' water in koi pond with that at the water fall. If you are going to go super anal with it, go with a bacteria screen from aqua-systems inc however this might be a bit much. I have used the bacteria screens and would only recomend them for this if you have an IMMACULATE system. Or have copious amounts of free time for constant cleaning.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

Members

while particulates can and will clog misters, it's more of the bioslime buildup that blocks the misters..