Members

test results from master test kit + update.

ok so i finally got a new bin for my system, added more gravel, and it is now running with a couple of tomato and basil seeds, as well as 2 clones(each about 9 inches tall.)

My fresh water master test kit provided me with these results, let me know what you think

Ph 8-8.2
    Ammonia 0-.25ppm
    Nitrites .50-1
    Nitrates 20

Also, i have 3 goldfish at the moment, going to buy another 8 or so.
    http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/s...nder vipar LED
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^My System^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Re: test results from master test kit + update.

That's a great start man! What medium are you using for your veggies? Different mediums apparently adjust your PH slightly. If you are using the Hydroton clay pebbles your PH will probably balance itself out around the low 6's (6.0-6.3) which is totally acceptable. If you are using something natural like 3/4" gravel (which is apparently one of the best because it provides structural support, but it's heavy!) your PH should balance out in the high 6's (6.5+ - 7.0) which is also totally acceptable for most plants and veggies.

I'll also state that I started with Goldfish (and I'm still using them) and they are tough man! They have taken all kinds of temperature and PH swings. Too much food, too little food, too much current, not enough current etc. They are very resilient. Be sure you master Goldfish before moving onto edibles. If possible you should try and avoid my mistake which is being impatient! Try to change things slowly if you can, add just 1 or 2 fish instead of 8. Change the PH by .2 instead 1.0 etc etc. The slower you go the more useful and accurate your decisions will be. I'm kind of in a pickle now because I have about 50 veggies in a flood table and 84 gold fish and I'm fighting with my PH continually going too acidic because I didn't have enough heavy particle filtration. Now I'm going to have to dump out 90 gallons of water that really didn't need to be wasted but have to now because I was impatient and added too much too quickly.

Good luck!
    Current Aquaponics System

11 Gold Fish
    Aquarium = Custom 90 Gallon Raised Pond on casters
    Flower bed = Custom 4' x 8' Flood Table (Bell Siphon)
    Bio Filter = 6 Gallon Polypropylene Tote with Hydroton (Bell Siphon)

Members

cycling with fish can be done and your fish can make i through ok if you're careful.. feed very minimally until you are cycled, if nitrites get above 1, don't feed at all.. if nitrites get higher, salt to 3ppt, and hold off on feed

Members

hahahah thanks for the replies guys! as far as cycling goes, i had left the tank from weeks before to produce algae all over the tank. during that time i built the system and added 8 gold fish, only 5 died(i think from overeating as all the algae disappeared and there stomachs turned green, which is a sign from over eating, i read.) this whole time the the siphons were running but only through gravel and no plants. ive tested once before this result about a week earlier and got near same results,(except higher nitrates at 50) but i lost a lot of water as my system had that stupid leak.

now i have 15 goldfish and in the 3 days ive had them, no casualties yet. im going to run another test soon and let you know how its going. the plants i added seem to not be affected ( even in the cold weather).

as for the medium i used 3/4 gravel and yes it is super heavy! i was planning to put it up to 11" as i have a 12 inch grow bed, however due to the excess weight i was scared the roof would collapse(550 pounds of gravel/350 pounds of water.) so as of now i trimmed down the stand pipe to about 9 " and it seems to be working for the better as it completes a full cycle in about 15 minutes draining about 40% of my tank volume.

Thanks for all the help guys, i wouldve never started this project without your feedback
    http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/s...nder vipar LED
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^My System^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^