Water dogs aka mud dogs

Where do I get Water Dogs? Not the furry kind.
    These are really popular for trophy bass and catfish bait.
    Not gonna use them as bait. But they are hard to find in TX.
    Supposed to be native to northern central US from what I am told...but I haven't verified.
    Just going by old fish stories here.
    Gotta be someone out there that knows what I am talking about.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

Re: Water dogs aka mud dogs

You could mail order if you can't find them locally....but they ain't cheap 1-2 dollars a piece.

Mail order from whom? I have only seen these for sale during peak fishing seasons here, and those aren't very healthy.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

One source found with a google search....http://www.livewaterdogs.com/

Also try the salamander forums, they also pop up from time to time on Aquabid.

Are these guys useful or edible?

I suppose both in some cultures.
    What it is, is the young juevenile stage of the Giant Tiger Salamander, which I believe is native from the Carolinas and northward on the east coast to Great Lakes...I could be wrong, but I think I read it somewhere. They range from a couple of inches to nearly a foot long.
    They have many many uses. Depending on price and shipping I am looking for about 20-25.

We called these things "water dogs". I hadn't heard that term in years! We would catch them in and around irrigation ditches, playa lakes and holding tanks. If it was relatively warm, wet and humid, we could usually find them. You might just need to put on your rubber boots and go looking. A net is helpful cause the little buggers are slippery and quite quick.
    My old man says when it's time to be counted, the important thing is to be man enough to stand up.”
    ? Robert A. Heinlein, Between Planets

Hmmm. Only problem you run into here...I am in TX. Snapping turtles, snakes, leaches, mosquitos...rednecks.
    This stuff was okay when I was a kid. Now, I am more than happy to pay someone else for it. Good Idea though.

am in Texas as well and all those things you mentioned just made the experience more fun. Of Course we were kids then and didn't much phase us. Nothing like picking up a 40ft joint of irrigation pipe and having a 5ft rattle snake slide out the end.
    My old man says when it's time to be counted, the important thing is to be man enough to stand up.”
    ? Robert A. Heinlein, Between Planets

I was under the impression they didn't live this far south, more of the Carolinas to the Great Lakes kind of critter?