Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fish won't eat

Members

fish won't eat

i have about 50 catfish fingerlings in a 300 gallon tank. they were veracious eaters until a week and a half ago. now they won't eat floating food at all. I am using a biofilter and also forcing other return water @ pretty high pressure to increase oxygen until i get an aerator. i have had the fish for about a month. any help would be graciously appreciated!

Members

Re: fish won't eat

What are your water parameters? (pH/ammonia/nitrite/nitrate)

If you are in an area that is getting cold it may also just be the lower temps causing them to feed less.

What are the fish physically doing? Watch the fish, how they are acting gives you clues too.
    Based on the info you provided, I would suggest changing out about 20-30% of their water for fresh water that has had the chlorine removed.
    Most likely this is a water paramter issue. If they have been eating like crazy, it also means they are pooping like crazy. What kind of cats do you have? Some are more aggressive than others.
    A water change, not all the water as this will shock them, will temporarily solve your symptoms. BUT it's not a fix. Just a band aid. Give me some more info, and I can get you better answers.
    Good luck.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

Where ya at? Has your water temp dropped lately? Cats will survive cold water but they ain't gonna eat much.

Members

some catfish aren't wild about a high "flow" too...
    as others have noted..
    what have your temps been.. and what are your water parameters, ph, nitrites and nitrates.. what kind of "pond filter? what's it rated for?

Quote Originally Posted by LowCarbTNPer
    What are your water parameters? (pH/ammonia/nitrite/nitrate)

If you are in an area that is getting cold it may also just be the lower temps causing them to feed less.
    Barring any disease or highly unusual environmental factor, your answer lies in the above questioning (excluding nitrate).

Members

i know uf does not agree...
    but i read elsewhere that while many fish are ok with high nitrAtes, catfish can have problems.. especially when fingerlings.. i'll try to search for it today, but it's gonna be a busy one at work

It's been my experience, not sure about others....that fingerlings are more sensitive to most out of whack parameters. I don't find this specific to species. Not sure if it's due to size, making them more sensitive, or if it's a maturity issue, or what have you. But when I take semi adults/adults and expose them to the same stresses as fingerlings or even juevies the younger always shows stress and ailments long before the adults. Especially true with amonia, and DO issues for instance when a pump burns out, or I over stock, transport, etc. I do believe though, that changing a considerable amount of the water will help. There's a quote I saw somewhere of "stop polution through dilloution" Or something like that. And I have found this to be very helpfull. Does anyone else have experience in this?
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

My catfish (channels) stress if I don’t keep the tank covered and won’t eat. When I get new fingerlings I feed through a small opening in the cover until they get used to things.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

Quote Originally Posted by keith_r
    i know uf does not agree...
    but i read elsewhere that while many fish are ok with high nitrAtes, catfish can have problems.. especially when fingerlings.. i'll try to search for it today, but it's gonna be a busy one at work
    Oh, I wasn't commenting on if nitrate toxicity exists in this particular fish species... I was just trying to keep it simple because in aquaponic systems nitrates are relatively low (under 100 ppm, often under 40 ppm or some people have near 0 ppm). Save the poor guy a test and confusing anyone else that might be trying to help. I am now in a more "hands off" mode. I'm passing the torch to you keith!!!

Your test should read the TAN (total ammoniacal nitrogen), which is NH3/NH4 combined. NH4 speciation is associated with pH (I may be stating the obvious for some).

NH3 - unionized ammonia or just ammonia (toxic)
    NH4 - ammonium (non-toxic)
    NO2 - nitrite (toxic)
    NO3 - nitrate (non-toxic or weakly toxic depending on species and stage in life cycle)

DISCLAIMER: And yes, I know speciation occurs for the other chemicals too and more speciation than listed also occurs, but this is the bulk of the relevant and significant interactions with the nitrogenous compounds.