Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • magnetic

1 50.00%
  • solar

1 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Members

Hello, My name is Leece, I live in the florida keys!

New to Aquaponics, Excited about getting started. Looking for someone near big pine key florida, I am looking for someone who has a system up and running... I would like to be able to raise my fish (talapia to start) , as I cant seem to catch ANY fish on my own , and veggies Winn Dixie wants and arm and a leg for peppers, asparagus and beans ! I would like to use a solar or magnetic water pump and a solar air pump. I am soooo happy to find this site. Leece

Re: Hello, My name is Leece, I live in the florida keys!

Hi Leece, Welcome to the forum....
    The winters in FL are too warm for asparagus... ....it needs to be dormant. I've heard of people trying it in central FL...but it tends to die out after a few years.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Leece
    New to Aquaponics, Excited about getting started. Looking for someone near big pine key florida, I am looking for someone who has a system up and running... I would like to be able to raise my fish (talapia to start) , as I cant seem to catch ANY fish on my own , and veggies Winn Dixie wants and arm and a leg for peppers, asparagus and beans ! I would like to use a solar or magnetic water pump and a solar air pump. I am soooo happy to find this site. Leece
    From the context of how you wrote it, I am understanding "magnetic water pump" to mean that the source of the energy is a magnet; therefore, it's a green or free energy similar to solar power? Or, do you literally mean a magnetic water pump that plugs into the wall or a battery for power?

There is a device out there that is a bicycle rigged to create power from peddling. You can power your system for a whole day with just 15 minutes of bicycling. That of course depends on the size of your system and generator, etc. I don't think it gets any "greener" than that for green energy!

Members

yes magnetic energy, not electric... bike sounds interesting, except who is going to ride it? hehehe

yes magnetic energy, not electric... bike sounds interesting, except who is going to ride it? hehehe
    Haha, that's a good question. I haven't figured out who would ride the bike either!

Interesting... how does this magnetic energy work?

Members

Hey urban farmer - do you have any information/links/diy sites/contacts for the bicycle powered water pump? I could ride 15 minutes a day!

I would like to use a solar or magnetic water pump and a solar air pump. I am soooo happy to find this site. Leece
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    From the context of how you wrote it, I am understanding "magnetic water pump" to mean that the source of the energy is a magnet; therefore, it's a green or free energy similar to solar power? Or, do you literally mean a magnetic water pump that plugs into the wall or a battery for power?
    Leece, do you mean something like this...?....
    http://www.magneticenergy.org.uk/water% ... 20Pump.htm

I sure hope it's true...but, 'Free energy'...sounds too good to be true.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by dglmann
    Hey urban farmer - do you have any information/links/diy sites/contacts for the bicycle powered water pump? I could ride 15 minutes a day!
    I found a kit here, but it would be cheaper to DIY. This requires a bit of knowledge in these kinds of things though. I think you can find JUST the motor/generator for under $100, but you have to build the plate and added parts to rig it up.

One reviewer stated it takes him 2 hours of cycling to recharge a 33 Ah battery from 0% to about full. That's about 6-8 hours of TV. I plan to make my kids bicycle to charge a battery so they can watch TV. MWAHAHAHAHA, PERFECT!

Members

here is the link to the magnetic pump... let me know what you all think... Leece

http://store.waterpumpsupply.com/magdrivpum.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_Drive_Pumps

Leece, 'Little giants' are great pumps.....those are a little large for an average backyard system.
    The commercial farm I'm working on building, could use one of these you listed....We will have over 15,000 gallons of water.

For an 'average' backyard system...one would would use a mag drive pump using around 40 to 60 watts. Of course there are a ton of variables in what size to use.... '?'

You can see, going 'solar' to power the pump, wouldn't be too bad.