Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Members

Greetings from the Philippines

Hi everyone!

I have 2 small aquaponic systems here at home which I started about 6 months ago.

I am planning to scale up a bit and start using deep water culture. I normally some use wood (plywood) with lining for the tanks.

I hope someone can provide me more information or a step by step guide in having a similar setup.

Thanks!

Re: Greetings from the Philippines

Hi Aqualeaf...
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

Hello there!

Aqua leaf,

Where are you located Eastern Visayas, Luzon, Minaropa, Mindanao?

Members

Hi Aquaarche!

I'm from Luzon. Metro Manila... Specifically from Pasig. How about you?

Members

I've been reading about Aquaponics for quite some time and have tried starting small systems of my own...

here's a glimpse of what I have:

www.aqualeafygreen.wordpress.com

Comments (and criticisms) are highly welcome... I am currently planning on expanding with a system that will really be efficient enough to produce vegetables for the family.
    A raft system is my number one choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualeaf
    Hi Aquaarche!

I'm from Luzon. Metro Manila... Specifically from Pasig. How about you?
    We are here in Palawan.

I have been doing free aquaponics training for six years or more here using small systems. Long before Mike (his forum membership name) got involved. He use to laugh and say how plants can't grow in water alone without a medium. I told him he was misinformed and that there is always a small amount of medium used for the roots in Aquaponics. He has not succeeded yet in Aquaponics.

I will be putting in a large system starting in November 2011. when and if you get down here please contact me I can fetch you from the airport and there is a nice quiet place near by with pool and aircon very inexpensive with breakfast you can stay at. then you can see this style of system. You can take this technique and design a very ascetic system that will be functional as well as look nice.

Once this one at my home is completed and running then next we hope to build a Aquaponic training pilot project just outside the Penal Farm targeting the newly released prisoners in a hope to give them something that will help them integrate back into society.

Nice little system you created there. Pichay and lettuce grow pretty easy. I never thought of putting in Okra but then I am no longer using a gravel bed.

we have some friends and family near you. some in san pedro laguna others in makati I love manila you can find most anything there if you hunt around especially in china Santa Lucia, Benundo and Divisoria areas. It is just to sad it is so expensive to travel there.

Members

Niice, liked this tutorial I'm currently working on a bit improved method with a twist ...EDIT:removed link. Will see how it goes. And btw the Philippines sound like the perfect place for an aquaponics setup!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra1o
    Niice, liked this tutorial I'm currently working on a bit improved method with a twist ...EDIT:removed link. Will see how it goes. And btw the Philippines sound like the perfect place for an aquaponics setup!
    It is steady pretty much weather wise. But it has its draw backs. It is hard in some areas to find supplies, seeds pumps and good proper fish foods.

Members

Hi Sandra1o,

Aquaarche is right. Since we are an agricultural country, many plants and fish thrive here. In fact, we have one of the most diverse ecosystems out there. But he's also right with the lack of supplies and some that are imported can be expensive.

Aquaarche,

you seem to be way ahead of me when it comes to Aquaponics. I am hoping that you can share to me your experiences and knowledge. I am dedicated on pursuing Aquaponics for I see that one very important aspect of our future has got to do something about it.

I could say that my setup is very basic and encountered a lot of problems.
    I have been in Coron, Palawan a couple of years ago and I do intend to go back. You just gave me an idea here. I might bring my girlfriend there as a form of surprise trip and we can visit you and your systems. I'm sure this is going to be great! I can also bring you some supplies that you might need from here...