Trying to get started as cheaply as possible, using things I have around the house as much as possible. Making progess slowly as weather, finances and health allow. Doing some leafy greens inside in my fish tank. It's a 120 gallon with a few large messy fish. Water changes were a pain, at least 50% once a week just to keep the nitrates at an acceptable level. Took a plastic tote, drilled it full of holes and set it in on one side. Sheet of styro, with holes and plastic cups cut and slotted into them. Piece of napkin down to the bottom of the cup, leftover aquarium rock around it and spread napkin across top. Have a CFL fixture from when I had a planted tank for lighting.

For outside I have the remnants of an old 2x4 and dowel pond. 48x48x16 with an EDMP liner remnant from years ago. A submersible pump that I used for water changes circulates the water. Putting together a couple of old totes as GBs. Just need to do bell siphons and get gravel, the only big thing I don't have on hand. These will house tomatoes, peppers, butternut squash and what ever the mutant plant is that I can't ID yet for starters. If all works well will expand next year, again as health and finances allow.

Pictures will follow as things progress and I am looking forward to comments and criticisms of my budget build.