Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

PVC leaches toxins

Well, disturbing but true... I just learned in class that PVC along with other plastics readily leach toxins. PCB and DEHP are among the many toxins leached out. Not only has my professor done ample studies on the subject, but several of my classmates have jobs where they routinely monitor for these pollutants and they have described their experiences and findings. It is quite alarming to think we're throwing potentially dangerous materials into our systems. The plants definitely absorb these toxins (they are found less in the fruits of plants), but I wonder how much can be found in fish since they rely on the water for osmoregulation... SCARY. Well, I won't bring any of this to the "public" attention because I think our fellow aquapons may lose their organic certifications!

For instance, DEP and DEHP are far less prevalent in soil because the soil has the ability to "clean up" the toxins. The good news is some of these toxins only have noticeable side effects on women and children! (but that's only the ones I have just heard about and there may be unknown effects yet to be discovered)

Re: PVC leaches toxins

Don't forget lead.....the fittings have more then the pipe. The newer pvc's are being made to have less.
    Did they mention cpvc pipe and fittings....?

Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    The good news is some of these toxins only have noticeable side effects on women and children! (but that's only the ones I have just heard about and there may be unknown effects yet to be discovered)
    ....My mother drank out of 'old school' steel pipes.... you younger guys might wonder if your mom drank from pvc pipes before you were born ... ... :P
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bis(2-ethylhexyl)_phthalate

Smaller penis size and other feminizing linksDEHP metabolites measured from the blood of pregnant women have been significantly associated with the decreased penis width, shorter anogenital distance, and the incomplete descent of testes of their newborn sons, replicating effects identified in animals.[6] Approximately 25% of US women have phthalate levels similar to those in the study.[6]
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

If your plumbing was installed pre-1988 or there abouts your copper pipes were most likely soldered with lead bearing solder anyway. Water lines at one time were made of lead. How come folks seemed to live longer back then?

They lived longer because they raised their own foods free of poisons
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

if you look into it a little bit, you'll find that pvc is acceptable for "cold" potable water..
    not that i'm using any hot water for heating the ft, but if i was, i'd use cpvc

Not only has my professor done ample studies on the subject, but several of my classmates have jobs where they routinely monitor for these pollutants and they have described their experiences and findings. It is quite alarming to think we're throwing potentially dangerous materials into our systems.
    UF...Kieth has brought up a valid point, about the water temp flowing through 'pvc' pipe . Can you find out if you proffesor has any data related to 'water temps' in his testing ?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Assuming this is 100% true in plumbing it in your house, but bacteria break it down and cause the toxins to leach as well. Also, the sun does substantially too. We're talking about PVC applications in AQUAPONICS not in your house.

You guys haven't had any PVC pipes go brittle on you or any PVC pond liner? I have. That means the toxins have leached, oops!

Yes, I can ask about that, but lastly keep in mind "acceptable" might mean the studies the mfr put out stated the amount of toxins leached were "minimal" and acceptable risk. Here in the US we do RISK MANAGEMENT meaning we allow a certain amount of harmful things to occur as long as it's a "calculated risk" factor low enough to justify it. Right? Moreover, our systems are closed systems... they accumulate toxins, heavy metals, pesticides, etc... which is why we don't put them in! Lets compare apples to apples here (and I understand there is no research for our specific application).

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    Don't forget lead.....the fittings have more then the pipe. The newer pvc's are being made to have less.
    Did they mention cpvc pipe and fittings....?

The good news is some of these toxins only have noticeable side effects on women and children! (but that's only the ones I have just heard about and there may be unknown effects yet to be discovered)
    ....My mother drank out of 'old school' steel pipes.... you younger guys might wonder if your mom drank from pvc pipes before you were born ... ... :P
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bis(2-ethylhexyl)_phthalate

Smaller penis size and other feminizing linksDEHP metabolites measured from the blood of pregnant women have been significantly associated with the decreased penis width, shorter anogenital distance, and the incomplete descent of testes of their newborn sons, replicating effects identified in animals.[6] Approximately 25% of US women have phthalate levels similar to those in the study.[6]
    Yea, I saw those. That doesn't really affect your health. Having a small penis won't kill you, right [insert butt of joke name]?

Members

pvc is considered the "least toxic" (at least by greenpeace)

http://archive.greenpeace.org/toxics/pv ... e/bad.html

Quote Originally Posted by keith_r
    pvc is considered the "least toxic" (at least by greenpeace)

http://archive.greenpeace.org/toxics/pv ... e/bad.html
    Did I read that wrong? It shows it as the most toxic... It says PE is the best (aside from bio based plastics).

Again the issues are the additives. I am going to opt for virgin PE with a high mil thickness. It can degrade in the sun, but if it's covered right it might be the best option.

As far as the pipes... I'm still thinking... It also depends on the mfr of the product...

The pyramid of plastics is a ranking of plastics according to their hazardous characteristics. PVC, the most problematic plastic, is at the top of the pyramid, and biobased plastics, the least polluting of the plastics, are at the pyramid's base.
    Keith are you smoking the funny tobacco again???