Well, disturbing but true... I just learned in class that PVC along with other plastics readily leach toxins. PCB and DEHP are among the many toxins leached out. Not only has my professor done ample studies on the subject, but several of my classmates have jobs where they routinely monitor for these pollutants and they have described their experiences and findings. It is quite alarming to think we're throwing potentially dangerous materials into our systems. The plants definitely absorb these toxins (they are found less in the fruits of plants), but I wonder how much can be found in fish since they rely on the water for osmoregulation... SCARY. Well, I won't bring any of this to the "public" attention because I think our fellow aquapons may lose their organic certifications!

For instance, DEP and DEHP are far less prevalent in soil because the soil has the ability to "clean up" the toxins. The good news is some of these toxins only have noticeable side effects on women and children! (but that's only the ones I have just heard about and there may be unknown effects yet to be discovered)