Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Members

removing chlorine from tap water with Vitamin C?

A local tilapia breeder had a little workshop today and myself, Ernie, and my brother were in attendance. One of the things the breeder was saying was to use 500 mg of Vitamin C per 50 gallons of water to remove chlorine and chloramines.
    Sounds too good to be true, right? She swears by this method though, and uses normal tap water without any filters or other chemicals.
    I'm definitely going to try it.

Another interesting thing was her opinion on the minimum water depth you should use for your Tilapia fish tank. She recommended 36". Any less and the fish will try to jump out. I believe Ernie experienced that first hand.

She was also using plastic garden screen as bio filtration material as opposed to the plastic specifically made for aquatics.. It's sold at most hardware stores and you can find it in 15' long rolls. She just buys some of them, leaves them rolled up, and drops them straight in a 55g barrel. Very easy bio-filter.

Re: removing chlorine from tap water with Vitamin C?

I'll try some experiments to see, but I doubt seriously that citric acid is effective against chloramines. Chlorine, for sure, but in order to take out chloramines, you need to break the amine bond ,then take out both chlorine and ammonia.

Rocky Mountain White are a great fish, but I'd be astonished if they are legal in California. These are a hybrid of the Auria and the Nile, both of which are forbidden. As far as I know, only the O. mossambica are allowed.

Water depth is not directly related to tilapia jumping out. I keep mine in tanks far more shallow than 36". When tilapia jump out it is nearly always the result of aggressive behavior. Water depth won't make any difference. A larger tank may if the offended party can get away. A lid is the best, period. Keeps the fish in, keep fish eaters out.

Plastic garden screen, or any compound that won't break down but allows water to flow over it is an effective biofiltration substrate. I use scrubby pads. I also use bio balls, and kaldnes. They all work the same way. The problem with most of these is they clog up and have to be cleaned. Using a particulate filter up front help a lot. Kaldnes is interesting as is the aquacube as neither will clog.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Check http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/pdffiles/fg1518.pdf and search "tilapia" for the restricted species. Both Nile and Aurea are not allowed.

As I said before, Rocky Mountain White is a cross between the two and so would also be prohibited. Great fish, but special permits would be required and would not likely be granted.

Members

Re: removing chlorine from tap water with Vitamin

Our water definitely has chloramines, so I wonder if the amount is just so small that it isn't harmful to the fish?

http://www.sandiego.gov/water/quality/t ... cess.shtml
    Chlorine is added to the water as the primary disinfectant to prevent illness due to water-borne pathogens. The final barrier is the addition of ammonia to the water to react with chlorine and form chloramines. Cloramines are used to maintain a residual disinfectant throughout the water distribution system to ensure water quality to the consumer’s tap.

This is great news! Thanks for the links. It does look well documented, especially good seems sodium ascorbate which has little effect on pH.

Members

In that first link you posted Ernie (removal.pdf), the last question is regarding aquarium water. They don't say to use Vitamin C for that purpose... I wonder why?

In other links they do, but say that sodium ascorbate is better as it has little effect on pH. You need to be more careful with dosing of vitamin C. Sodium ascorbate is buffered, so keeps things neutral.

I need to stick with my Kold Sterile though, as chloramines are the least of my worries. I have transformer oil, MBTE and other hydrocarbons in my water.

Members

All this stuff makes me want to go back to college and get a degree in agriculture =)

You won't find that stuff in school...

I ordered a pound of sodium ascorbate. That should last me for years and set me back all of about $20 including shipping.

BTW- Sounds like the workshop you went to was done my a friend of mine Sheri, AKA Tilapia Mama. Am I right? She an I got into tilapia about the same time and got to know each other through Mike Sipe. I've invited her to come & join here, but she hasn't yet

I asked her how it was legal for her to have RMW tilapia. Her legal answer is that in a recirculating aquarium setup they are pets and so not regulated. If she was to sell the fish commercially it would be different. For personal use, you are probably fine, but if you are thinking of selling fish for eating, you should find out the rules for your self.