Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: My cabin....

Members

Re: My cabin....

so....with further reading I found that they call this the "tilapia mark"...and that it goes away as they mature. I need to get a couple of breeding tanks set up and cycling soon me thinks....

Members

I was just feeding my fish....and I noticed one larger fish wasn't eating. So...i tracked her through the tank...and she kept her mouth very closed...caught her with the net and put her in a 20 gallon i started up a few days ago...and the net was full of eggs! SCORE! More then 100 anyway....we'll see if she picks them back up. I guess this is when the tank explosion starts....I'm already up to 3 50 gallon and a 20....going to need a couple more 20s i think....

Quote Originally Posted by MurCurY
    I was just feeding my fish....and I noticed one larger fish wasn't eating. So...i tracked her through the tank...and she kept her mouth very closed...caught her with the net and put her in a 20 gallon i started up a few days ago...and the net was full of eggs! SCORE! More then 100 anyway....we'll see if she picks them back up. I guess this is when the tank explosion starts....I'm already up to 3 50 gallon and a 20....going to need a couple more 20s i think....
    Congrats!

Members

looked this morning...the eggs are still on the bottom of the tank....
    Should there be gravel in the birthing tank?

Members

stopped in for lunch...all the eggs are off the bottom ::YAY:: So...I'm expecting a population explosion....time to start building a small greenhouse to house an outdoor above ground pool....heating options? I'm thinking of building a thermostatically controlled heating chamber using a hot water heater and the output on the water filter...using the inlet side as the temp reading....but this is really just an idea at the moment.

I have seen something like this. But the water came from water heater through a coil of tubing in the tank, and then back to the water heater. The water heater water never coming into contact with the fish tank water. But is this cost effective?
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

Members

....and....she swallowed them....by next month i bet I build an egg tumbler.....

I would of thought she would of needed to pick them up, almost right away for them to survive. Maybe she ate them when she realized they wouldn't hatch ?
    Anyone know how long eggs can lay still, without tumbling ?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

Have another holding....going to try to build a tumbler today if I can find time to go to the hardware store.

Members

What color are fertilized eggs? These were actually white when she spit them. How long will they sit in the tumbler till they hatch?