Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My cabin....

Members

Re: My cabin....

I'm going to use the pressurized canister and waterfall for my 200 gallon when I get the floor reinforced....The tank w/ the coral background was the one from my boss's mom. Came with the iron stand and clips for a heater...no heater...but that's ok cause the craigslist tank came with heater and no clips

Your safest bet is silicone designed especially for aquariums. Most home stuff has additives in it that are hazardous to the fish.
    People cry because they are sad. For example, I cry because other people are stupid, and that makes me sad.

Members

so last night i half filled it....waited a few hours...no leak....So..I full filled it....
    Overnight and no leaks! I bet it was her filter or something leaking
    So I got a 50 Gallon with stand in perfect condition for nada...
    I went to the fish store and they had a 120 gallon for $100....I almost bought it....
    I had a girl here last night...she's been over a bunch of times before...her comment was....
    "It kind of is starting to look like a fish store in here....."
    ....women.....

So...I figured out that I can cut an IBC to a dimension that will hold approx 200 gallons..290 gallons exactly....but I figured I'd need a Lip so they don't decide to go for a walk.....

So...What am I going to do with the liner I bought?....Use it in the greenhouse! I'm going to have the carpenter build me a frame under the greenhouse bench and line it...then plumb it up onto the bench into some type of grow setup. I'm thinking something kind of like this.... Plus I found a controller unit that will keep the resevoir for the hydroponic unit at an equal level topping off each time from the tilapia tank sitting next to it.

Thoughts?...fish order this week! I'm hoping the goldfish tank will be ready for tilapia when they get here....

Members

A thought.....Is there such a thing as too much air?...I bought this air pump for my hydroponic setup that puts out 950 gal/hr air. I usually run a whole bunch of extra large air stones off this....I needed an air pump for the goldfish tank so....I rigged it to a 3' bubble wand and it is a complete curtain of bubbles....I'm thinking it may be too much....

A fish store.... My girlfriend told me I couldn't raise fish in the backyard....My entire backyard became an aquaponics setup...and she moved back to IL...

The most 'common size' Totes/IBC's in the Orlando area are 275 gallons...I 'think' the next size is 350...?

Anyway, I cut the top's off as high as I could, leaving a lip. I also installed the 1 1/2 inch SLO drain high. My water level is sitting right on the 250 gallon graduation mark.
    The tanks are deceptive...If you look at my pictures... see how the tank steps down on top some ? That's where 2 metal bars go across the top. If it weren't for that, I could of gotten a few more gallons.

Wow, your ' air pump' sounds like it puts out as much as a small blower.. Do you know what brand and model you have ?

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

Sunleaves Brand DuraPump SDA540. I looked in the catalog and they make a couple larger ones too.

Too funny on the girlfriend
    I pruned the bushes on the back side of my cabin to fit 2 275 ibc's behind them. I'll be able to open my bedroom window and feed

I see alot of people with these siphon setups....where they draw from one tank into another into another into another filter someplace in the loop...and back to the main tank. What would be the best setup for this? Say I want to put 3 IBC's together off one large bio filter...

Quote Originally Posted by MurCurY
    I had a girl here last night...she's been over a bunch of times before...her comment was....
    "It kind of is starting to look like a fish store in here....."
    ....women.....

Quote Originally Posted by MurCurY
    A thought.....Is there such a thing as too much air?...I bought this air pump for my hydroponic setup that puts out 950 gal/hr air. I usually run a whole bunch of extra large air stones off this....I needed an air pump for the goldfish tank so....I rigged it to a 3' bubble wand and it is a complete curtain of bubbles....I'm thinking it may be too much....
    Murray has this long and funny story every time someone asks this, but the short version is that if you're not blowing the fish out of the water with your air pump, then it's probably not too much air.

david,

Do you have issues with the algae using those totes outside? Have you seen any issues with dissolved oxygen?

Quote Originally Posted by Bioritize
    david,

Do you have issues with the algae using those totes outside? Have you seen any issues with dissolved oxygen?
    Algea...'YES".
    I did make wooden covers with shade cloth stretched over them. I wish the shade cloth was a higher percent shade...

I keep telling my buddy we need to do something about the 'sides'....
    The sides are totally covered with algea...and of course, the plastic is being broken down, more everyday too...

DO...not bad...(?)
    Of course the algae 'uses' DO at night. If I had a DO meter, I'd test at 4 in the afternoon, then at 4 in the morning. Only then, could I give an exact answer.

I'm trying to add DO to the water 'before' it gets to the fish tanks...
    Plus, I have enough air going through the DIY air diffusers , that the water is 'rolling' in each tank.
    Plus, between 3 ibc's (250 gals each)...there is only 100 adult tilapia.
    The 4th ibc, only has a 2 or 3 small cats....so far
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

Picked up 40 black mossies on my way back home friday!
    Ordered some food should be here in a few days. Got to see another setup and I have to get moving to catch up! ......

So...I know at the younger ages they grow very fast. And mossies breed at a very young age....but how young?