Members

What about Taro?

I went to the lake just down the street and got me a Taro plant so I planted it in river rock and put it in my stream filter. That was 10 days ago and now it has 5 new shoots with new plants on the ends plus two new leaves. At this rate it will take over my filter so I'm thinking if it is really good to eat I'll give it a grow bed. But I'm not sure about eating it, has anyone here tried eating it and if so is it good?

Re: What about Taro?

Unless you live in Hawaii, it is doubtful what you have collected is an edible taro. It is just a big leafed bog plant that will spread like carzy and take the nutrients out of the water that were meant for your veggies
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Re: What about Taro?

Quote Originally Posted by larryreinhardt
    I went to the lake just down the street and got me a Taro plant so I planted it in river rock and put it in my stream filter. That was 10 days ago and now it has 5 new shoots with new plants on the ends plus two new leaves. At this rate it will take over my filter so I'm thinking if it is really good to eat I'll give it a grow bed. But I'm not sure about eating it, has anyone here tried eating it and if so is it good?
    Well, Taro is a common name. There are different "Taro" that refer to different species. The ones the Hawai'ians eat are poisonous unless cooked. Colocasia esculenta?

The other type of "Taro" I know of goes by many other names. It is of the genus Xanthosoma, and there are over 50 species of this one. Maybe you mean Xanthosoma sagittifolium? Just a wild guess...