Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Do fish need a light cycle?

I warned you...
    PM ME THE ABSTRACT OR RELEVANT CONCLUSION/DATA INFORMATION AND I WILL UPDATE THIS

Barahona-Fernandes, M.H., 1979. Some effects of light intensity and photoperiod on the sea bass larvae (Dicenntrarchus
    labrax (L)) reared at the centre Oceanologique de Bretagne. Aquaculture 17, 311 –321.

Barlow, C.G., Pearce, M.G., Rodgers, L.J., Clayton, P., 1995. Effects of photoperiod on growth, survival and
    feeding periodicity of larval and juvenile barramundi Lates Calcarifer (Bloch). Aquaculture 138, 159– 168.

Biswas, A.K., Takeuchi, T., 2002. Effect of different photoperiod cycles on metabolic rate and energy loss of both
    fed and unfed adult tilapia Oreochromis niloticus: Part II. Fish. Sci. 68, 543– 553.
    To study the influence of different photoperiod cycles on the metabolic rate and energy loss of fed and unfed adult tilapia Oreochromis niloticus (bodyweight 102–107 g) at 28°C, four photoperiod cycles (i.e. 3L : 3D, 6L : 6D, 12L : 12D, and 24L : 24D) were applied. A computer-operated respirometer with a closed tank was used so as to prevent water from condensing from the air or evaporating into the air. A photoperiod-mediated metabolic cycle was demonstrated during the routine state in which the metabolic rate was higher during the light phase compared with during the dark phase for all photoperiods. The combined effects of photoperiod and feeding episodes acted as a strong Zeitgeber (cue or synchronizer) for synchronizing the daily rhythm in fed fish. Fish exposed to short photoperiod cycles showed a higher metabolic rate and energy loss compared with those exposed to longer photoperiod cycles. Mean oxygen consumption in the fed and unfed fish were 295.7 mg/kg per h and 149.8 mg/kg per h, respectively, during the 3L : 3D period; 286.5 mg/kg per h and 143.3 mg/kg per h during the 6L : 6D period; 262.2 mg/kg per h and 130.3 mg/kg per h during the 12L : 12D period; and 238.3 mg/kg per h and 120.4 mg/kg per h during the 24L : 24D period. The highest post-prandial increase in energy loss was recorded during the 3L : 3D period (56.2 kJ/kg per day), followed by 55.1 kJ/kg per day during the 6L : 6D period, 50.7 kJ/kg per day during the 12L : 12D period, and 45.4 kJ/kg per day during the 24L : 24D period. The study’s results demonstrated that the fish conserve energy when raised under longer photoperiod cycles.

Biswas, A.K., Endo, M., Takeuchi, T., 2002. Effect of different photoperiod cycles on metabolic rate and energy
    loss of both fed and unfed young tilapia Oreochromis niloticus: Part I. Fish. Sci. 68, 465– 477.

Boehlert, G.W., 1981. The effects of photoperiod and temperature on laboratory growth of juvenile Sebastes
    diploproaand a comparison with growth in the field. Fish. Bull. 79, 789– 794.

Boeuf, G., Le Bail, P., 1999. Does light have an influence on fish growth? Aquaculture 177, 129–152.
    Chervinski, J., 1982. Environmental physiology of tilapias. In: Pullin, R.S.V., Lowe McConnell, R.H. (Eds.), The
    [The effect of] daylength appears much more important. Many species, including both marine species and salmonids, react to photoperiod treatments and long daylength stimulates growth. The most studied species is the Atlantic salmon, which is very sensitive, both during the freshwater stage, with the parr-smolt transformation very dependent on the photoperiod, and also in sea water. In this last condition, lighting also influences early maturation. An important point is to be certain that light affects fish growth through a better food conversion efficiency and not just through stimulated food intake. Also included in this review is a discussion about the endolymph-otolith system, which is very sensitive to daylight and seasonal cycles and a review of the present knowledge on the involvement of light influence on hormone levels (melatonin, somatotropin, thyroid hormones and other hormones).

Biology and Culture of Tilapias. Proc. 7th ICLARM Conf., Manila, Philippines. International Center for
    Living Aquatic Resources Management, Manila, Philippines, pp. 119– 128.

De Silva, S.S., Gunasekera, R.M., Keembiyahetty, R.M., 1986. Optimum ration and feeding frequency in
    Oreochromis niloticus young. In: Mclean, J.L., Dizon, L.B., Hosillos, L.V. (Eds.), The First Asian Fisheries
    Forum. Asian Fisheries Society, Manila, Philippines, pp. 559– 564.

Duray, M., Kohno, H., 1988. Effects of continuous lighting on growth and survival of first-feeding larval
    rabbitfish Siganus guttatus. Aquaculture 109, 311 –321.

Duston, J., Saunders, R.L., 1990. The entrainment role of photoperiod on hypoosmoregulatory and growthrelated
    aspects of smolting in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Can. J. Zool. 68, 707– 715.

El-Sayed, A.-F.M., 2002. Effects of stocking density and feeding levels on growth and feed efficiency of Nile
    tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus L.) fry. Aquac. Res. 33, 621– 626.
    400 A.-F.M. El-Sayed, M. Kawanna / Aquaculture 231 (2004) 393–402

Fielder, D.S., Bardsley, W.J., Allan, G.L., Pankhurst, P.M., 2002. Effect of photoperiod on growth and survival of
    snapper Pagrus auratus larvae. Aquaculture 211, 135– 150.

Folkvord, A., Ottera°, H., 1993. Effects of initial size distribution, day length and feeding frequency on growth,
    survival and cannibalism in juvenile Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua L.). Aquaculture 114, 243–260.
    Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), 2002. FAO FishStat plus. Aquaculture Production
    1970– 2000. Rome, Italy.

Fuchs, J., 1978. Influence de la photoperiode sur la croissance et la survie de la larve et du juvenile de sole (Solea
    solea) en elevage. Aquaculture 15, 63– 74.

Gill, J.L., 1981. Design and Analysis of Experiments in Animal and Medical Sciences, vol. VI. The Iowa State
    Univ. Press, Ames, IA, U.S.A, p. 409.

Gross, W.L., Roelofs, E.W., Fromm, P.O., 1995. Influence of photoperiod on growth of green sunfish, Lepomis
    cyanellus. J. Fish. Res. Board Can. 22, 1379– 1386.

Hallara°ker, H., Folkvord, A., Stefansson, S.O., 1995. Growth of juvenile halibut (Hippoglossus hippoglossus)
    related to temperature, day length and feeding regime. Neth. J. Sea Res. 34, 139– 147.

Harbott, B.J., 1975. Preliminary observations on the feeding of Tilapia nilotica Linn. Lake Rudolf. Afr. J.
    Hydrobiolog. Fish. 4, 27– 37.

Imsland, A., Folkvord, A.F., Steffansson, S.O., 1995. Growth, oxygen consumption and activity of juvenile
    turbot (Scophthalmus maximus) reared under different temperatures and photoperiods. Neth. J. Sea Res. 34,
    149–159.

Imsland, A.K., Folkvord, A.F., Jo΄nsdo΄ ttir, O.D.B., Steffansson, S.O., 1997. Effects of exposure of extended
    photoperiods during the first winter on long-term growth and age at first maturity in turbot (Scophthalmus
    maximus). Aquaculture 159, 125– 141.

Kiyono, M., Hirano, R., 1981. Effects of light on the feeding and growth of black porgy, Mylio macrocephalus
    (Basilewsky) postlarvae and juveniles. Rapp. P-V. Reun.-Comm. Int. Explor. Sci. Mer Mediterr.
    178, 334– 336.

Lourenco, J.N.P., Vicentini-Paulino, M.L.M., Delicio, H.C., 1998. Influence of photoperiod on the growth and
    gain of weight in Nile tilapia Oreochromis niloticus, under constant temperature in the two seasons. In:
    Valenti, W.C., Zimmermann, S., Poli, C.R., Bassanesi Poli, A.T., Moraes, F.R., de Volpato, G., Camara,
    M.R. (Eds.), Proc. Aquaculture Brazil ’98. Sustainable Development, vol. 2, pp. 561–569.

Muir, J., Van Rijn, J., Hargreaves, J., 2000. Production in intensive and recycle systems. In: Beveridge,
    M.C.M., McAndrew, B.J. (Eds.), Tilapias: Biology and Exploitation. Kluwer Academic Publishing, Great
    Britain, pp. 405– 445.

Philippart, J.C., Ruwet, J.C., 1982. Ecology and distribution of tilapias. In: Pullin, R.S.V., Lowe McConnell, R.H.
    (Eds.), The Biology and Culture of Tilapias. Proc. 7th ICLARM Conf., Manila, Philippines. International
    Center for Living Aquatic Resources Management, Manila, Philippines, pp. 15–59.

Porter, M.J.R., Duncan, N., Handeland, S.O., Stefansson, O., Bromage, N.R., 2001. Temperature, light intensity
    and plasma melatonin levels in juvenile Atlantic salmon. J. Fish Biol. 58, 431– 438.
    Purchase, C.F., Boyce, D.L., Brown, J.A., 2000. Growth and survival of juvenile flounder Pleuronectes ferrugineus
    (Storer) under different photoperiods. Aquac. Res. 31, 547– 552.

Ridha, M.T., Cruz, E.M., 2000. Effect of light intensity and photoperiod on Nile tilapia Oreochromis niloticus.
    Aquac. Res. 31, 609– 617.

Ross, L.G., McKinney, R.W., 1988. Photoperiod mediated variation in respiratory rate of Oreochromis niloticus
    and its implication for tilapia culture. In: Pullin, R.S.V., Bhukaswan, T., Tonguthai, K., Maclean, J.L. (Eds.),
    The 2nd Int. Symp. on Tilapia in Aquaculture. Bangkok, Thailand. ICLARM Conf. Proc., vol. 15. International
    Center for Living Aquatic Resources Management, Manila, Philippines, pp. 421– 428.

Saunders, R.L., Henderson, E.B., Harmon, P.R., 1985. Effects of photoperiod on juvenile growth and smolting of
    Atlantic salmon and subsequent survival and growth in sea cages. Aquaculture 45, 55– 66.

Silva-Garcia, A.J., 1996. Growth of juvenile gilthead seabraem (Sparus auratus L.) reared under different
    photoperiod regimes. Isr. J. Aquac.-Bamidgeh 48, 84– 93.

Siraj, S.S., Kamaruddin, Z., Satar, M.K.A., Kamarudin, M.S., 1988. Effects of feeding frequency on growth food
    conversion and survival of red tilapia (Oreochromis mossambicus/O. niloticus) hybrid fry. In: Pullin, R.S.V.,
    A.-F.M. El-Sayed, M. Kawanna / Aquaculture 231 (2004) 393–402 401

Bhukaswan T., Tonguthai, K., Maclean, J.L. (Eds.), The 2nd Int. Symp. On Tilapia in Aquaculture. Bangkok,
    Thailand. ICLARM Conf. Proc., vol. 15. International Center for Living Aquatic Resources Management,
    Manila, Philippines, pp. 383– 386.

Tandler, A., Helps, S., 1985. The effects of photoperiod and water exchange rate on growth and survival of
    gilthead seabream (Sparus auratus, Linnaeus; Sparidae) from hatching to metamorphosis in mass rearing
    systems. Aquaculture 48, 81– 82.

I have read the following books, and I have noted the relevant pages:

Tilapia: biology, culture, and nutrition (pg 376-377)
    Chhorn Lim, Carl D. Webster

Tilapia culture (pg 123-124)
    Abdel-Fattah M. El-Sayed

The above books were compiled with, and represent hundreds and hundreds of research studies. I consider the information in those books "expert" knowledge, and I will go a step further and consider the authors authorities on the topic. My original statement regarding the 12/12 for optimum growth is stated in the above books (even though I read it in a few studies prior to purchasing these books).

Some more:
    Watanabe, W.O., Woolridge, C.A., Daniels, H.V. 2006. Progress toward year-round spawning of southern flounder broodstock by manipulation of photoperiod and temperature. Journal of the World Aquaculture Society. Vol. 37, issue 3: 256-272

Rocha, M.J., Arukwe, A., Kapoor, B.G. 2008. Fish Reproduction. (book).

Bonnet, E., et al. 2007. Characterization of rainbow trout egg quality: A case study
    using four different breeding protocols, with emphasis on the incidence of embryonic malformations. Theriogenology 67: 786-794

Norberg, B. et al. 2004. Photoperiod regulates the timing of sexual maturation, spawning, sex steroid and thyroid hormone profiles in the Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua). Aquaculture 229: 451-467

El-Sayed, A-F.M. et Kawanna, M. 2007. Effects of photoperiod on growth and spawning
    efficiency of Nile tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus L.) broodstock in a recycling system. Aquaculture Research 38 :1242-1247

Carillo, M. 2007. Environmental control of fish reproduction with special reference to control of puberty and precocity. Presentation.

And more...
    Allen, J.RM. and Wootton, RJ. 1982. The
    effect of ration and temperature on the
    growth of the three-spined stickleback
    Gasterosteus aculeatus (L.). J Fish
    Bioi. 20: 409-422.

Brauer, E.P. 1982. The photoperiod control
    of coho salmon smoltification.
    Aquaculture 28: 105-111.

Degani, G.; Ben-Zvi, Y. and Levanon, D.
    1989. The effect of different protein
    levels and temperatures on feed
    utilization, growth and body
    composition of Claris gariepinus
    (Burchell, 1822). Aquaculture 76:
    293-301.

Komourdjian, M.P.; Saunders, RL. and
    Fenwick, J.C. 1976. Evidence for the
    role of growth hormones as a part of a
    light-pituitary axis' in growth and
    smoltification of Atlantic salmon
    Salmo salar. Can. J Zool. 54: 544-

Kristinsson, J.B.; Saunders, RL. and Wiggs,
    A.J. 1985. Growth dynamics during
    the development of bimodal lengthfreqency
    distribution in juvenile
    Atlantic salmon Salmo salar (L.).
    Aquaculture 45: 1-20.

Lundqvist, H. 1980. Influence of
    photoperiod on growth in Baltic
    salmon parr Salmo solar (L.) with
    special reference to the effect of
    precocious sexual maturation. Can. J.
    Zool. 58: 940-944.

Rottiers, n.v. 1992. Effects of day length
    and cleaning regimen on the growth of
    yearling parr Atlantic salmon. The
    progressive fish culturist 54: 69-72.
    Saunders, RL.; and Henderson, E.B. 1970.
    Influence of photoperiod on smolt
    development and growth of Atlantic
    salmon Salmo solar. J. Fish. Res.
    Board Can. 27: 1295-1311.

Saunders, RL.; Henderson, E.B. and
    Harmon, P. R 1985. Effects of
    photoperiod on juvenile growth and
    smolting of Atlantic salmon and
    subsequent survivaland growth in sea
    cages. Aquaculture 45: 55-66.

Saunders, R.L. and Henderson, E.B. 1988.
    Effect of constant day length on
    sexual maturation and growth of
    Atlantic salmon Salmo solar parr.
    Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 45: 60-64.

Schreck, C.B. 1982. Stress and rearing of
    salmonids.Aquaculture 28: 241-9.

Trzebiatowski, R; Filipiak, 1. and
    Jakubowski, R 1981. Effect of stock
    density on growth and survival of
    rainbow trout Salmo gairdneri
    (Rich.). Aquaculture 22: 289-295.
    Villarreal, c.A.; Thorpe, 1.E. and Miles,
    M.S. 1988. Influence of photoperiod
    on growth changes in juvenile Atlantic
    salmon, Salmo solar (L.) Journal of
    Fish Biology 33: 15-30.

I may have to write a tutorial on how to find research... I may not always be around. You guys have to be self-sufficient to keep things going around here!

I'm running out of "stuff" to contribute around here anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by keith_r
    http://saudibiosoc.com/SJBS/5-2/files/10.pdf

so many sources, so little time
    And let's not forget this one, which keith found before anyone else posted it!

but the mean growth rates under LD 6:6 and LD 12:12 were higher than under LD 24:0
    Body weight, GR and SGR became the highest under LD 12: 12 after the first two months until the end of the experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bioritize
    they are known as Janitor fish here.

These guys eat lettuce and kale. are we sure they wont eat the roots of the plants in the grow beds? I thing they may be a bit much seeing they may suck apart the bottom of my Styrofoam float.

A large Mollie that might work.

Any other ideas?

currently I have one of my Tilapia in there but they are known to eat the roots when the roots begin to expand pass the net gravel pot.

Quote Originally Posted by aquaarche
    Quote Originally Posted by Bioritize
    they are known as Janitor fish here.

These guys eat lettuce and kale. are we sure they wont eat the roots of the plants in the grow beds? I thing they may be a bit much seeing they may suck apart the bottom of my Styrofoam float.

A large Mollie that might work.

Any other ideas?

currently I have one of my Tilapia in there but they are known to eat the roots when the roots begin to expand pass the net gravel pot.

As algae does not have a lot of nutritional value and would take a considerable amount to sustain a large pleco it probably will go after the roots. Also known for sucking off the slime coat of fish leaving them more susceptible to diseases.
    People cry because they are sad. For example, I cry because other people are stupid, and that makes me sad.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    In God we trust; all others bring data.
    ~ Dr. Edwards Deming
    Ah, an excellent mantra to live by my friend!
    I thought you'd like it...

About your new avatar...looks about right, but the hair needs to be more curly... :P ..

AT Basil1 .... ...I like your new avatar too...
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

from what i've found over the last few days, is that the photoperiod is an important factor in growth, and there have been studies done with several species w/ different lighting times..
    i've concluded that i'll investigate whatever species i'm growing, and figure out what works best for me..
    i've been contemplating working with my yp and trying to induce a spawn this winter.. just picked up a free 55 gal tank, so i'm up to 5 tanks, and the pool.. but i gotta get my gb's on line before i do much more