Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Do fish need a light cycle?

Quote Originally Posted by keith_r
    there have been quite a few studies on the affect of the photoperiod on fish growth..
    http://www.medwelljournals.com/fulltext ... 09.760.763 for trout..
    here's an abstract on nile tilapia
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... x/abstract

another on nile tilapia
    http://www.mendeley.com/research/effect ... ticus-l-2/

"regurgitating a general conclusion from the large body of empirical evidence" ???
    sounds like folklore to me.. hehe
    OH, YOU rascal

Yea, there are literally thousands of studies out there on this particular topic related to fish dating as far back as 40 to 50 years ago.

I'm really busy with exams; so, I can't go digging for the exact sources, but this is a generally accepted assertion in the scientific community (which as with all things science, is subject to change with empirical evidence). I mean, I could go find 1 or 2, but that would be an injustice given the large body of scientific research and empirical evidence to date. I mean, it's even commonly known that fish will grow better under 24/0, but only under short term conditions. Any actual grow out period is 6 to 12 months, and 12/12 is the best way to go.

For the time being, try google. Find specific research studies that discuss growth rate not gonadal development (fecundity is different than getting big fat fish to eat, derp).

Keep looking guys, you'll find it! If not, I will post in a few days. (and I did try searching my archives briefly, but I have THOUSANDS of papers on all things aquaponics, and my search function on my computer is quite limited, one day I'll organize this mess...)

Members

http://saudibiosoc.com/SJBS/5-2/files/10.pdf

so many sources, so little time

Quote Originally Posted by keith_r
    http://saudibiosoc.com/SJBS/5-2/files/10.pdf

so many sources, so little time
    Uh oh you posted something in Arabic... you're going to hear from you know who!

Good find, that's actually one of the ones I was looking for!

UB-
    Quit it. Quit it now. Stop the smoke and mirrors. You are not an expert on the subject, nor am I. I am not pretending to be one. Don't make statements unless you can back them up. Don't deflect by telling people that they can run the experiment themselves. Don't say it is "widely held" or "is generally accepted". That is the tactic used by the global warmers. It isn't true.

If you want to maintain credibility, stick to what you have personally experienced, or cite a trusted source with proper references, not just some stuff parroted on the Internet.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Quote Originally Posted by Bioritize

Actually not the best choice except when young or if one of the more exotic species is used. The common ones get huge, are extremely messy and destructive, terrible algae eaters and can do some serious damage to your other fish. If you can get bushnose plecos fine. Mollies are great at eating algae too if there is not alot of other choices but may be too small for this application.
    People cry because they are sad. For example, I cry because other people are stupid, and that makes me sad.

Members

Having raised fish for 59 years and owning and operating two fish farms which produced tens of thousands of fish this is my experience - the longer the light is on the more the fish are active burning calories consuming more food and growing bigger. I've never seen the reverse true.

Quote Originally Posted by badflash
    UB-
    Quit it. Quit it now. Stop the smoke and mirrors. You are not an expert on the subject, nor am I. I am not pretending to be one. Don't make statements unless you can back them up. Don't deflect by telling people that they can run the experiment themselves. Don't say it is "widely held" or "is generally accepted". That is the tactic used by the global warmers. It isn't true.

If you want to maintain credibility, stick to what you have personally experienced, or cite a trusted source with proper references, not just some stuff parroted on the Internet.
    I was not deflecting. You do that to me all the time; so, I thought it would be funny, but you don't seem amused... I see, you're one of thoooooose...

ANYWAY, I've got 2 well written books that both state what I have said in my previous posts, not to mention there are hundreds of studies (if not thousands) on the topic. Spend some time looking (keith already found some) and you will see the ample body of empirical evidence in scientific literature.

After I finish up with my studies for the week, I will compile a nice list of more research than you will want to read...

P.S. I never claimed to be an expert (in fact I said I was regurgitating empirical evidence)... and I don't think the fish will grow faster from global warming, but you might be on to something! sheesh, you're too much badflash...

In God we trust; all others bring data.
    ~ Dr. Edwards Deming
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    In God we trust; all others bring data.
    ~ Dr. Edwards Deming
    Ah, an excellent mantra to live by my friend!