Quote Originally Posted by Corey B
I do appreciate all the help so far. So BSF are out. that kinda sucks. But all this info is useless unless i know for sure that I can use my upstairs or if the basement at only 6' high is enough space to do an aquaponics system. I have also been looking at aireoponics and it takes a lot less water/ weight so I know it can be used up stairs taking advantage of the space I have. but 3,600 + pounds is a lot of weight for up stairs And I do not know if it is even possible.
Cory, welcome to the obsession.

If your basement is only 6' high, then it should be relatively easy to brace up the first floor under the GB locations. Also, if you buy a fountain pump that would lift over 10', you might be able to have the FT in basement and the GB's on first floor. If you could position the GBs close to windows, free sunlight. Also, if located on the south side of house, then you could even have outdoor beds connected to your indoor beds during growing season that drain back to the basement FT. During growing season, you could even save more money just by shutting off / bypassing the indoor GB if they require artificial light.

***Warning***

You said it was an old farm house, be careful of water damaged floors under windows. Old style windows tend to leak over the years and rot the floor and floor joist around them. If only the flooring material is soft around your windows, just put down some 3/4 plywood under the GB's, and some treated 4x4's standing on ends in the basement supporting the floor joist. You may want to do this even if the flooring is sound, as an extra precaution. Jack each joist just a small amount, no more than 1/4", to slide the supports in place, use a level to make sure they are exactly plumb, then gently lower down on supports. I would not jack them any more than that, or you could crack sheetrock / plaster upstairs. I would also put several screws at an angle (toe nail) at the top of the support post and bottom of joist to keep them from falling if shrinkage occurs.
This would require drilling holes in your floor for plumbing, but you did say it was an old farm house and you are hungry.

If the joist are damaged I can give more details later. If your interested in doing it this way, take lots of pictures of the locations you are thinking of using and post them. I will try and help as much as I can. I have some practical experience in these matters, but I am far from being an engineer, I'm just a handyman with a wide range of experience. So continue at your own risk.

Just a thought.