Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Members

Do I Really Need a Heater??

hi this is my first topic. Im trying to have as little energy usage as possible for my system and i am wondering if i really have to use a heater. i live in san diego and i am thinking of getting channel catfish who, from what i heard/read, are pretty good with cold water, so is there really a need for a heater?

Re: Do I Really Need a Heater??

Greetings Earthling, and welcome!

Hi thyme4soup, welcome...
    I know it's mild in San Diego in the winter. What do you think your av low are, in the winter ?
    I've heard cats are pretty tuff. Maybe someone with experiance with them will be able to guide you. I do have channel cats, but they are in the same water as my tilapia....in the winter, they get to enjoy the warm water too.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Maybe not the best source, but...

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/catfish/channel.php

Channel fish are best kept in water with pH 6-8 and a temperature of 77-82°F / 25-28°C but Channel Catfish can accept a wide variety of temperatures without taking damage. Their growth rate are highly dependent on water temperature and maximal growth are achieved in 85° F/ 29.5° C although this hardly is a goal for most aquarium owners.

Another .com source confirms the same...
    http://msucares.com/aquaculture/catfish/biology.html

Channel catfish tolerate a wide range of environmental conditions. The optimum water temperature for growth is 75 to 85º F, but fish can survive at temperatures from just above freezing to nearly 100º F. Growth is slow at temperatures less than 65º F and feeding activity essentially stops at temperatures below about 50º F. The maximum water temperature at which channel catfish can survive indefinitely is about 95º F and fish survive only briefly at temperatures above 100º F.
    If TCLynx see this she can chime in. She raises them, but I THINK she doesn't keep them over winter even in Florida because it gets too cold to be productive. I'm not sure though; hopefully, she can elaborate.

Members

she does keep them over winter in florida, they just won't grow much over winter..
    after you get your system set up, monitor water temps over a year to help you determine what you have to work with without adding heat..
    you might be able to do 2 "seasons" of fish, a warm water fish like tilapia over the summer, and trout over the winter...
    hard to tell until you start up and monitor what you have

I have been told catfish and perch survive in cold winters in texas. I was told by a local fish supplier that his tanks will freeze over and the fish just sit still at the bottom until it thaws. I plan to keep my catfish and blugill outside over the winter here in dallas. (However, i do plan to heat enough to keep the water from freezing. )

As with anything with this hobby, i make a plan but i am not rigid about keeping to it.. If it looks like the fish arent doing well, i will drop a bucket heater in there or move them into the garage. If you remind me in jan or feb, i will update on how it's going.

brian

According to the size of the tank, you can buy stock tank heaters that will keep the water from freezing altogether or at least around the heater itself allowing for some open water.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Yeah, I didnt mean to imply that the tanks froze completely.. Just a sheet on the top.. probably not more than 1-2 inches.

brian

Members

just keep an open area in the ice so your fish don't die from low dissolved oxygen