Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Cottony looking growth over the Fishes eye?

Quote Originally Posted by wh33t
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    Normally yes, but if it is small enough you can just do 50% water changes using a garden hose. Of course that depends on your water quality, but it takes me about 10 seconds to do a water change (when it's in use). Some folks have a more permanent setup. It's completely up to you!
    I bought 50 new feeders from Petsmart again and put them in the quarantine tank along with my fishies from my big 90 gallon tank (only 10 left). So I've got them all in a 10 gallon quaratine tank. Kind of cramped in there with an air pump. I added some fungus killing stuff into the water that the fish lady recommended. How long would you suggest they should stay in there before returning them to the big tank? The back of the box says that you can only repeat the treatment every 4 days, do you think I should keep them in isolation for 4 days? doing 50% water changes every day?

This is what she recommended http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... d=11147154. I couldn't find any copper sulfate in any store where I live.
    Well, don't eat your fish now!
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11147154
    This product contains a chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer.
    Keep out of reach of children. For aquarium use only. Not for use on fish food.
    Yes. With that many fish I would try to change as much water as you can. Maybe 90% daily??? Also, don't feed them! The thing is they will produce a ton of ammonia if you do! I know they're really small fish; so, they should be okay. Honestly, if they can survive the chlorine level of your tap water, I would just use plain tap water as the treatment doing 90% water changes daily. Chlorine kills all that same stuff listed there, but it can be lethal to the fish if the levels are too high. This concept is the same as treating with salt. The chloride ions are what are doing the work, but also what are dangerous to some fish (not tilapia, they have a chloride cell).

Normally yes, but if it is small enough you can just do 50% water changes using a garden hose. Of course that depends on your water quality, but it takes me about 10 seconds to do a water change (when it's in use). Some folks have a more permanent setup. It's completely up to you!
    I bought 50 new feeders from Petsmart again and put them in the quarantine tank along with my fishies from my big 90 gallon tank (only 10 left). So I've got them all in a 10 gallon quaratine tank. Kind of cramped in there with an air pump. I added some fungus killing stuff into the water that the fish lady recommended. How long would you suggest they should stay in there before returning them to the big tank? The back of the box says that you can only repeat the treatment every 4 days, do you think I should keep them in isolation for 4 days? doing 50% water changes every day?

This is what she recommended http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... d=11147154. I couldn't find any copper sulfate in any store where I live.
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11147154
    This product contains a chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer.
    Yes. With that many fish I would try to change as much water as you can. Maybe 90% daily??? Also, don't feed them! The thing is they will produce a ton of ammonia if you do! I know they're really small fish; so, they should be okay. Honestly, if they can survive the chlorine level of your tap water, I would just use plain tap water as the treatment doing 90% water changes daily. Chlorine kills all that same stuff listed there, but it can be lethal to the fish if the levels are too high. This concept is the same as treating with salt. The chloride ions are what are doing the work, but also what are dangerous to some fish (not tilapia, they have a chloride cell).
    Thanks for the headsup! The ammonia levels rose very quickly so I tossed them back into the big tank. If you think just regular chlorinated tap water will kill the bad fungus and such I will start doing fresh tap water changes every day. How much would you suggest changing out each day?

And about the eating of the fish, they are just gold fish so I never planned on eating them anyways, but how do you feel this will affect the over-all integrity of the veggies growing in the system? Should I wait a few days/weeks/months or so before plucking any food?
    Current Aquaponics System

11 Gold Fish
    Aquarium = Custom 90 Gallon Raised Pond on casters
    Flower bed = Custom 4' x 8' Flood Table (Bell Siphon)
    Bio Filter = 6 Gallon Polypropylene Tote with Hydroton (Bell Siphon)

Thanks for the headsup! The ammonia levels rose very quickly so I tossed them back into the big tank. If you think just regular chlorinated tap water will kill the bad fungus and such I will start doing fresh tap water changes every day. How much would you suggest changing out each day?

And about the eating of the fish, they are just gold fish so I never planned on eating them anyways, but how do you feel this will affect the over-all integrity of the veggies growing in the system? Should I wait a few days/weeks/months or so before plucking any food?
    I wouldn't put those tablets in the main system. I didn't look at the chemicals, but the danger is in if it bioaccumulates in the plants. It might, it might not. There might be studies for those chemicals, there may not be. One has to check, but in general we don't use those kinds of chemicals in AP systems because of the potential dangers.

As far as the chlorine, I assumed you were using regular tap for the fish anyway? Is that what you filled the 10 gallon with? If so, it's safe to assume the fish can tolerate the level of chlorine in your tap, but it's possible they don't.

I wouldn't use that in the main AP system because if you change the water enough for the chlorine to be present in strong enough quantity, then it will kill of the bacteria you want and open up the ecosystem to parasites and bad bacteria. Also, it will take a while for it to work because the chlorides will react with organic matter and become relatively inert.