Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cottony looking growth over the Fishes eye?

Hey all,

I had another gold fish die this morning, it once again appears to be flawless looking. No ammonia burnt fins, nice shiny gold fish like scales. Also I noticed one of the fish that was hanging out by the water pump had this puffy white thing over it's left eye. So I'm very curious what that is and how I can deal with it.

My ammonia is less than 1ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, Nitrate 10-30ppm, ph7, temp 24c, TDS 30ppm. My plants look fantastic, but my fish have been steadily dying ever since I put 50 x $0.19 gold fish feeders into the tank from Petsmart.

For the first little while I attribute the death of the cheap goldfish feeders to poor care from Petsmart, but then finally I had one of my 8 original gold fish (nice and healthy looking, already survived an Aquaponic garden for many months) died to seemingly an unknown cause (old age?) but now today I see this white growth thing over a goldfishes eye (also one of my originals). The contaminated fish is still swimming around and looks fine despite the strange growth over it's eye. I should also note, he was sitting in a corner by himself which is somewhat different than normal behavior.

Any suggestions on what the hell is going on and how I can fix it would be great!
    Current Aquaponics System

11 Gold Fish
    Aquarium = Custom 90 Gallon Raised Pond on casters
    Flower bed = Custom 4' x 8' Flood Table (Bell Siphon)
    Bio Filter = 6 Gallon Polypropylene Tote with Hydroton (Bell Siphon)

Re: Cottony looking growth over the Fishes eye?

IT'S A ZOMBIE FISH!!! IT MAY ALREADY BE DEAD WAITING TO EAT THE OTHER FISH'S BRAINS!

White cotton like growth that covers the entire eye of the goldfish is due to a Saprolegnia fungus.
    Proper use of copper: Use of Copper in Freshwater Aquaculture and Farm Ponds

Quote Originally Posted by http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa008
    If the total alkalinity is less than 50 ppm, copper treatments are not recommended because of the high risk of killing fish. If the total alkalinity is over 250 ppm, do not use more than 2.5 ppm of copper sulfate.

Here are some options:

Mardel Coppersafe for Freshwater Fish 16 Ounce

Mardel Laboratories Coppersafe 4 Ounces

Applied Bio Chemists Copper Sulfate 5 Lb

DISCLAIMER: Copper is lethal to fish; use as directed. Also, I did not review any MSDS sheets for compatibility with aquaponic systems; however, if it's just copper sulfate (a fertilizer) it should be fine if used as directed.

"Measure twice, cull once." --

Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    IT'S A ZOMBIE FISH!!! IT MAY ALREADY BE DEAD WAITING TO EAT THE OTHER FISH'S BRAINS!

White cotton like growth that covers the entire eye of the goldfish is due to a Saprolegnia fungus.
    Proper use of copper: Use of Copper in Freshwater Aquaculture and Farm Ponds

Quote Originally Posted by http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa008
    If the total alkalinity is less than 50 ppm, copper treatments are not recommended because of the high risk of killing fish. If the total alkalinity is over 250 ppm, do not use more than 2.5 ppm of copper sulfate.

Here are some options:

Mardel Coppersafe for Freshwater Fish 16 Ounce

Mardel Laboratories Coppersafe 4 Ounces

Applied Bio Chemists Copper Sulfate 5 Lb

DISCLAIMER: Copper is lethal to fish; use as directed. Also, I did not review any MSDS sheets for compatibility with aquaponic systems; however, if it's just copper sulfate (a fertilizer) it should be fine if used as directed.

"Measure twice, cull once." --
    I appreciate the reply... but Zombie fish? I presume that's a joke.

It's some kind of fungus and I am to treat it with some Copper Sulfate? And I need to give it a dose in relation to how much Alkalinity is in the water but the kind of Alkalinity that website references is not PH... So how would I measure it?

11 Gold Fish

Oh. PPM is mg/L so however many liters of water you have multiply that by the mg of the copper sulfate according to the formula or directions on the product you purchase. You can always separate your fish to quarantine the disease.

Also, you can try methylene blue. I don't know much about that though.
    Novalek Methylene Blue 4 oz. (treats 240 gallons)
    Methylene Blue from Fish Vet (treats 240 gallons)

You can also try hydrogen peroxide, but you will definitely want to do this in a separate tank because it will kill off the bacteria and it's only for a short amount of exposure. Careful with the dosage. Less is more.

Use of Hydrogen Peroxide in Finfish Aquaculture

Members

if it's just a "spot" above the eye, it could be ich..

treat with salt up to 3ppm to help the fish deal with whatever is stressing them (this would be hard on cucumbers, or strawberries if you have them in your gb's)....or if you have a hospital tank, you can treat with up to 12ppm salt for an hour or so (but that would kill most plants)
    have you added any equipment to your system? (pipes, growbeds/media etc)? or is anything different from your original set up? sounds like a possible toxic condition may have been introduced?

Quote Originally Posted by keith_r

treat with salt up to 3ppm to help the fish deal with whatever is stressing them (this would be hard on cucumbers, or strawberries if you have them in your gb's)....or if you have a hospital tank, you can treat with up to 12ppm salt for an hour or so (but that would kill most plants)
    have you added any equipment to your system? (pipes, growbeds/media etc)? or is anything different from your original set up? sounds like a possible toxic condition may have been introduced?
    It's not a spot, it's definitely some fluffy stuff. The only thing I added to the seemingly healthy grow bed was cheap fish from Petsmart, most of which die of seemingly unknown other causes. I don't think I'll ever shop there again.

11 Gold Fish

Quote Originally Posted by wh33t

It's not a spot, it's definitely some fluffy stuff. The only thing I added to the seemingly healthy grow bed was cheap fish from Petsmart, most of which die of seemingly unknown other causes. I don't think I'll ever shop there again.
    Naw, I have gotten quite a few cheap fish from there!

You should put new fish in their own quarantine tank until all is well!

Quote Originally Posted by wh33t

Naw, I have gotten quite a few cheap fish from there!

You should put new fish in their own quarantine tank until all is well!
    Does my quarantine tank require it's own pump and filter as well? I presume it would.

11 Gold Fish

Normally yes, but if it is small enough you can just do 50% water changes using a garden hose. Of course that depends on your water quality, but it takes me about 10 seconds to do a water change (when it's in use). Some folks have a more permanent setup. It's completely up to you!

Normally yes, but if it is small enough you can just do 50% water changes using a garden hose. Of course that depends on your water quality, but it takes me about 10 seconds to do a water change (when it's in use). Some folks have a more permanent setup. It's completely up to you!
    I bought 50 new feeders from Petsmart again and put them in the quarantine tank along with my fishies from my big 90 gallon tank (only 10 left). So I've got them all in a 10 gallon quaratine tank. Kind of cramped in there with an air pump. I added some fungus killing stuff into the water that the fish lady recommended. How long would you suggest they should stay in there before returning them to the big tank? The back of the box says that you can only repeat the treatment every 4 days, do you think I should keep them in isolation for 4 days? doing 50% water changes every day?

This is what she recommended http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... d=11147154. I couldn't find any copper sulfate in any store where I live.

11 Gold Fish