Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Members

Re: Bell Siphon issues

I think the issues is that I have more inflow than outflow. When testing again without any media in the tank, I had a good siphon, but the siphon would not out pace the infill and reaches a steady state at half way. You will notice that my cap pipe is much taller than my stand pipe. I did not have time to shorten it tonight. Perhaps that may be working against me as well. Here are the requested pictures. I tore it apart but just stuck it back together for the pictures.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	siphon.jpg 
Views:	661 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	4720   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diffuse2r.jpg 
Views:	733 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	4721   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diffuser.jpg 
Views:	724 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	4722  

In your very first post in this thread, you wrote.....
    2. the diameter of the stand pipe. I have used 1/2"PVC and 3/4" pVC. Each diameter will drain the bed faster that it is being filled.
    Was this 'with' the media in the grow bed...?

Now your saying....
    Quote Originally Posted by flienlow
    I think the issues is that I have more inflow than outflow. When testing again without any media in the tank, I had a good siphon, but the siphon would not out pace the infill and reaches a steady state at half way.
    Try testing 'with' the media in the bed.
    If you then have too much in-flow, you can split the line comming form the pump...and send it elsewhere.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Yep, that'll do it!

When you get a chance take a shot of the pipes coming directly out of the bell siphon. I am still concerned that it is creating a very long siphon tube whereas you need to introduce a hole somewhere, maybe some additionally linked pipes, where air can get in freely at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    When you get a chance take a shot of the pipes coming directly out of the bell siphon. I am still concerned that it is creating a very long siphon tube whereas you need to introduce a hole somewhere, maybe some additionally linked pipes, where air can get in freely at all times.
    UF....look at the pictures at the top of this page. The 'top picture' shows the lower section of the siphon drain, See the bottom of the metal shelf, at the top of the same picture?........ his buckets(grow beds) are sitting on it.
    Here's an overall picture of his system....
    No Fun with Hydroton

I'm 'guessing' the 'down' part of the drain is just over a foot...(?)
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

It’s hard to tell from the photo but it looks like your bell is way too long. I’ve had problems with this before using the same bells with my 14”and 12” beds. The extra two inches made a difference. I try and keep only about 3/8 of an inch between the top of the stand pipe and the bell.
    Where you have the 90 on your discharge pipe mat be a bit short. Try adding enough pipe to get a slight upward angle as it connects to your 2 1/2” t.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    UF....look at the pictures at the top of this page. The 'top picture' shows the lower section of the siphon drain, See the bottom of the metal shelf, at the top of the same picture?........ his buckets(grow beds) are sitting on it.
    Here's an overall picture of his system....
    No Fun with Hydroton

I'm 'guessing' the 'down' part of the drain is just over a foot...(?)
    Okay, I guess I was confused. I thought the bell siphon was in the top blue tub.. in which case these pictures don't really give you the whole picture! A foot is still too much, but I was thinking the down part of the drain was 3 or 4 feet!!!

So the bell siphon is in one of the orange buckets not the top blue one??? Anyway, I just want to see the WHOLE plumbing from the exit of the bell siphon to where it exits into the fish tank IN DETAIL. Otherwise, I can't say for sure, but again it looks like it's too long as stucco has also stated.

Members

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    In your very first post in this thread, you wrote.....
    2. the diameter of the stand pipe. I have used 1/2"PVC and 3/4" pVC. Each diameter will drain the bed faster that it is being filled.
    Was this 'with' the media in the grow bed...?

Now your saying....
    I think the issues is that I have more inflow than outflow. When testing again without any media in the tank, I had a good siphon, but the siphon would not out pace the infill and reaches a steady state at half way.
    Try testing 'with' the media in the bed.
    If you then have too much in-flow, you can split the line comming form the pump...and send it elsewhere.

Yes that was with media in the bed, and also when I was using 5 gal buckets. This should work without splitting the flow if I have a great outflow that inflow correct? I would like to to keep this the same for ease and simplicity.

Members

Sorry guys-

These pictures got reversed. The bottom picture is the black grow bin with the siphon and me holding the 3/4" to 1" flange that I got for it along with the 1 1/2" cap pipeand 2" strainer.

The middle picture is just to show the diffuser that I made with 2" pipe.

The top pictures show the 3/4' inch pipe that is about 18" long connected to my diffusers setup for the grow bed just out of the picuture. I did it like this to break up the water flow for the fish and to aerate the water.

I removed the diffuser and just used the 3/4" X 18" drain pipe without media and it still kept a constant flow. Tonight I pull all stops and go whole hog with a 1" drain setup. If that doesnt work, I am going to burn all of this stuff and take up something less frustrating like Golf

If that doesnt work, I am going to burn all of this stuff and take up something less frustrating like Golf
    Maybe you'd like to buy a couple Penn reels on Ugly Sticks that I don't use anymore, now that I can just stick a net in my own fish tank and pull out 5 or 6 at a time.... :P

Hang in there....you'll get it...

Members

Well I changed everything over to 1" pipe. I had a few issues where the gap between the siphon and stand pipe was restricting the flow, but have that sorted now. She drains really well. Tonight I will silicone the screen pipe to the grow tub, and fill it with media tomorrow. I also need to change my diffuser as we spilled a lot of water on the floor.

Still pending final test.

Just a little good clean fun with fluid dynamics