Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: Maxicrop Plus Iron dosing rate?

Wikipedia mentioned this.....
    Blood meal is completely soluble and can be mixed with water to be used as a liquid fertilizer
    I guess that would include the nitrogen and iron.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Well, if you've ever tasted blood you'll know there's iron in them hills!

I'd been adding worm teach, which has loads of nitrogen. The fish also should have supplied plenty. I'm betting on iron. No much with iron goes into the worm bin and my fish food is light on it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    [However, what you probably saw was a result of the nitrogen from the blood meal. Your plant may have been deficient, but also adding nitrogen triggers the plant to take in more nutrients overall and grow!
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Quote Originally Posted by badflash
    I'd been adding worm teach, which has loads of nitrogen. The fish also should have supplied plenty. I'm betting on iron. No much with iron goes into the worm bin and my fish food is light on it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    [However, what you probably saw was a result of the nitrogen from the blood meal. Your plant may have been deficient, but also adding nitrogen triggers the plant to take in more nutrients overall and grow!
    Makes sense then I would just venture to guess that most people "on average" get a great growth response due to the nitrogen rather than the iron unless, of course, there was definitely an iron deficiency.

I don't know UF. My system seems to need iron and potassium. I don't think my fish food, good as it is, has a lot of either. I use ashes for the potassium and bloodmeal for the iron. I just do it sparingly as too much of either one is a problem.

If you don't dose with a fertilizer, where else would they come from?

I use ashes for the potassium and bloodmeal for the iron
    Badflash, do you use hardwood ashes you make ? and at what kind of a dose ?
    I've been using banana peels in the media beds (the worms love 'em) I don't think I can eat enough to keep up with the need...
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

I don't know UF. My system seems to need iron and potassium. I don't think my fish food, good as it is, has a lot of either. I use ashes for the potassium and bloodmeal for the iron. I just do it sparingly as too much of either one is a problem.

If you don't dose with a fertilizer, where else would they come from?
    Oh, I did not mean to give the impression we should not add a nutrient that is deficient, but that a system that is running well should not need anything else added besides potassium, iron, and calcium. The rest is pretty abundant from the fish waste.

Like David, I use wood ash for potassium. Since my gravel grow bed is a worm bin I like to put banana peels in there. If I was to ever have any leftover plant matter that is high in potassium, I would likely put it in there too. That is the exception because I don't put anything in the gravel for the worms (besides the fish poo). Other options include getting a "pH down" that is a potassium salt.

For calcium there are quite a few options. Recently, I started a fire and put some leftover bones on a grill. I let them char and get very brittle. I haven't gone to crush them yet, but they are ready for that. Eggshells and oyster shells are more common to use. I like to dissolve them in either vinegar or hydrochloric acid. Other options include using a "pH down" that is a calcium salt.

For iron, I use chelated iron. Since it's so cheap, I don't really bother with other alternatives, but I like the idea of the blood meal. I have a stock pile in case SHTF!

Sounds like we are in violent agreement. This thread started with a mystery deficiency. No matter what anyone thinks they have, it is always a mystery. Potassium and Iron are the two that people need to supplement. Ashes and blood do the trick. Never a shortage of either.

As far as cheap goes, stock up now, or plan for self sufficiency. The days of fruit and honey are coming to close. Invest in solar PV's and windmills now. The endgame is at hand. I hope this is obvious enough of a hint that I don't sound line an oracle. Anyone not drinking the kool-ade should see what is coming.

For response to the last paragraph, please post in the SUMP.

Great!

I only burn hardwoods, so that is what I have, mostly oak, some apple and elm. I add 2 tablespoons for 100 gallons and again a week later if I see some, but not enought improvement. Same goes for blood meal. Easy does it.

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    I use ashes for the potassium and bloodmeal for the iron
    Badflash, do you use hardwood ashes you make ? and at what kind of a dose ?
    I've been using banana peels in the media beds (the worms love 'em) I don't think I can eat enough to keep up with the need...