Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Maxicrop Plus Iron dosing rate?

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    Uf, I went to the web site, of the hydro store that I go to. I checked out their picture of the 'quart' of maxi-crop w/ iron. (they have it marked as a quart)
    When I enlarged their picture....it's the same as BSF's picture.
    Well, I guess we don't shop at the same shop!

Is there a way to add a piece of cast iron to the system to supply the iron need of the plants? I was thinking of sticking a piece of iron in one of the grow beds or my bio filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bioritize
    Is there a way to add a piece of cast iron to the system to supply the iron need of the plants? I was thinking of sticking a piece of iron in one of the grow beds or my bio filter.
    I was wondering the same thing, Bioritize. That would possibly add ferrous oxide to the system, but not sure if that is even soluable and if so, available for plant uptake.

I'm going with no, it won't work reliably or efficiently.

Quote Originally Posted by bsfman
    I was wondering the same thing, Bioritize. That would possibly add ferrous oxide to the system, but not sure if that is even soluable and if so, available for plant uptake.
    I read an article many years ago, they were talking about 'how to' add iron to nut trees. They used iron shavings from a lathe, and buried them around the drip line, just under the grass roots.
    Along that idea, it would be easy to use fine steel wool pad(s), used in wood working. I know they rust really fast. They could be burried in the media bed, under the inflow..... In a bio-filter, they could hang in a pantyhouse. They might rust faster in the media, they would be exposed to more oxygen.

As UF already pointed out, they wouldn't be 'as' reliable, as mesauring in a liquid with a pre-known iron content.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    Quote Originally Posted by bsfman
    I read an article many years ago, they were talking about 'how to' add iron to nut trees. They used iron shavings from a lathe, and buried them around the drip line, just under the grass roots.
    Along that idea, it would be easy to use fine steel wool pad(s), used in wood working. I know they rust really fast. They could be burried in the media bed, under the inflow..... In a bio-filter, they could hang in a pantyhouse. They might rust faster in the media, they would be exposed to more oxygen.

As UF already pointed out, they wouldn't be 'as' reliable, as mesauring in a liquid with a pre-known iron content.
    I just don't think the iron will get to the plant...

Why use such strange and risky things when low cost safer solutions are available? Blood meal is a wonderful source of iron and other nutrients. Used moderately it work wonders and has lots of other nutrients too. The nutrients are readily accessible as well.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

you won't get iron for the plants with anything like that.. you need chelated iron

Quote Originally Posted by keith_r
    you won't get iron for the plants with anything like that.. you need chelated iron
    I did. Plants greened up in days. Have you tried it? Blood meal has been used for centuries. You just can't over due it.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Quote Originally Posted by badflash
    Quote Originally Posted by keith_r
    I did. Plants greened up in days. Have you tried it? Blood meal has been used for centuries. You just can't over due it.
    I think he meant putting iron shavings in the grow bed!

Yes, iron from blood meal should be available or will be quickly available to the plant. However, what you probably saw was a result of the nitrogen from the blood meal. Your plant may have been deficient, but also adding nitrogen triggers the plant to take in more nutrients overall and grow!