Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Kneedeep's Journey

Great begionning, Kneedeep! What kind of fish are yoiu going to use? What crops are you planning?

Members

@david Heck yeah I'm serious We were joking after it was finished about it being perfect for an endless pool (the ones you see on TV) I always complain about the clay because it's so hard, but I guess it's good to have in this case

@ bsfman Thanks! I plan on starting with Tilapia, hopefully if all goes well and I can expand I may venture into stripe bass also. As far as crops go I plan on a few different tomatoes, lettuces, cucumbers, okra, carrots, peppers, basil, eggplant, and maybe some watercress.

More pics to come, I have to upload some from my cell phone to photobucket. Want to try and keep them in some order

Very neat! I feel like I'm right there with ya (and I wish I was)! Keep 'em comin!

Did you do the planning on the degree of north and south facing of the green house so as to keep it cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter?
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

Thanks for all of the kind remarks

@UF I wish you were here too LOL! Besides my old lady helping me put the rafters up everything else has been done by my one man team...ME It has been a lot of fun I must say!!

@JCO No I didn't.....I don't know what is facing what but I know the greenhouse gets sun ALL DAY long from sun up till sun down. I hope I can keep it cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

We received quite a bit of rain for a couple days and this is how things looked afterwards(This is about 2 weeks before Irene). I decided to buy a 1/4hp sump pump from HD after this. Anybody up for a swim?

Kneedeep wrote....More pics to come, I have to upload some from my cell phone to photobucket. Want to try and keep them in some order .
    Yes, we are hooked now.. :P ...we need our fix.....more pictures ! We are all 'there' helping you to build it...

I send picture texts to my email account/computer...then I can date them and store them in 'My pictures'....of course, then they can then be sent to photobucket. Plus, it's fun to pull out the phone and show pictures to 'everyone'...even strangers that you meet ....

'How did we ever survive with...ah, what was it called ?.....Oh yeah.. 'film' !
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

I forgot to tell you guys that the sump hole is lower at one end than the other, I hope this helps to catch some of the solids. I will have everything drain into the lowest point of the sump.

Also just in case any of you might be interested I used a product named Petri-Wood on the baseboards (boards at bottom of the greenhouse) as a trial. I was going to use it on the sump wood also instead of buying treated but i figured I better not risk that. I'll see how the baseboards hold up and maybe use it in the future when building another sump. The baseboard is untreated wood sprayed with petri-wood and seems to be holding up fine compared to some untreated wood that i have lying off to the side that is already being eaten by termites in some spots on the wood. We'll see

Members

So after I pumped all that water out of the sump this is what was left in the bottom, so out came shovels. The entire bottom was actually covered with all that thick mud.

And this is the last picture that I have. I am a little further along than this pic but I haven't taken any recently plus with the weather we had recently I haven't been able to do much.

I plan to back fill around the sump tank with the dirt you see on the sides and the rest will be gravel. Hopefully the gravel will help with drainage and the wood will last longer.

I REALLY want to SEE what's next!!!

Members

Hi everyone! Hope all is well. I have some updated pics I will post real soon but I had a couple of questions and was looking for some advice before I make any moves. I need to buy a pump and was wondering how many GPH you guys would recommend. I plan on having two 550 gallon tanks for the fish which gives me a total of 1100 gallons.

I plan to have 48 media beds that contain hydroton or gravel and possibly 4 rows 40ft long with maybe 5-6 nft channels in each row. What size pump would you recommend. I saw a 5100 gph pump for a good price. Would that be enough?

Thanks for the advice and updates are coming soon!