Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Re: cultivating BSFL for feed

Quote Originally Posted by bsfman
    Gee, I wish my website had not been hacked and destroyed. I had lots of details there about raising them
    You may be happy to know that I found a lot of old articles from your website, so all is NOT lost!

http://web.archive.org/web/201104192...dierflies.com/
    ------------
    My System: Jeff's Backyard System Here We Go!

So what does one do if one lives above 3000 above sea level? Any suggestions for cultivated insect type fish food?
    My old man says when it's time to be counted, the important thing is to be man enough to stand up.”
    ? Robert A. Heinlein, Between Planets

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff
    Gee, I wish my website had not been hacked and destroyed. I had lots of details there about raising them
    You may be happy to know that I found a lot of old articles from your website, so all is NOT lost!

http://web.archive.org/web/201104192...dierflies.com/

Dude! You totally rock! Thanks for ther link!

Members

Wow this is probably the best thread I've come across for me. I didn't realize how easy it could be to get some good sustainable protein to my fish. I was just online searching recipes for homemade food to be made with table scraps. But I like this idea much better. With two picky kids at home and a mother that cooks a fresh meal almost daily, we have plenty of scraps that even our dog is always full. I'm going to try and get one of these bins built on a small scale and try it out.

Thank you for all the great posts!

Quote Originally Posted by NeverResting
    I'm going to try and get one of these bins built on a small scale and try it out.

Thank you for all the great posts!
    You know, you really don't need a special bin if you are growing BSF for fish food. The self-harvesting bins of various types are designed to allow mature, dark colored BSF larvae to self-harvest. This is great for poultry, but your fish will prefer the immature cream-colored larvae.

If you are in zone 6b or below, wait until spring when the average daily high is bumping 80F. Get a rubbermaid tote, punch a few holes for drainage in it, shim the lid up with a couple of 1X2 furring strips, dump your kitchen scraps and coffee grounds in it and viola! Instant BSF bin! It will take about three weeks until you see BSF larvae. Until then, you'll have LOTS of fruit and houseflies, but the BSF will discourage them once established.

To harvest for fish foot, put a slice of bread on the surface of the substrate, check under it in 20 minutes and scoop up handfuls of larvae!

No need for a special bin at all!

Members

Awesome that sounds good. So this is only for the Spring/Summer/Fall seasons then. I'm in Orlando.

Awesome that sounds good. So this is only for the Spring/Summer/Fall seasons then. I'm in Orlando.
    You might be able to go year round in Orlando, NeverResting, but you'll have the most success March through November. You won't get much egglaying in Dec-Feb (if any), but if you have an active colony going into that time, they will over-winter okay. Their metabolic rate and growth will slow - along with their appetite - so you probably won't harvest many during winter. In late Feb when the daily highs are hitting 78-80 is a good time to start up a new bin. By mid to late March, they should be rocking and rolling!

Members

You might be able to go year round in Orlando, NeverResting, but you'll have the most success March through November. You won't get much egglaying in Dec-Feb (if any), but if you have an active colony going into that time, they will over-winter okay. Their metabolic rate and growth will slow - along with their appetite - so you probably won't harvest many during winter. In late Feb when the daily highs are hitting 78-80 is a good time to start up a new bin. By mid to late March, they should be rocking and rolling!
    Thank you I'll start one in February. I'll utilize the winter to increase my tank size and fish population. Then I'll worry the BSFL bin

Thanks for the great info bsfman....
    Yust me thinking

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    Looking forward to seeing that bsfman...
    Here's the completed bin and a rough sketch, davidstcldfl. I'll dig up some photos showing construction details and post them later. The dimensions are of course scalable to whatever size you choose. I raise them in massive quantities for commercial ventures and have two bins like this, a smaller home built bin, and a couple of commercially produced bins I ordered online. I have experimented with other designs as well but of all my bins, this is definitely the most effective. It features an open bottom for drainage and double crawl off ramps that funnel the larvae into collection buckets. I've made some mods on the lid and ramp design since these pics were taken, but this will give you a rough idea.

Hi Bsfman
    This is a very nice bin and I want to copy and build one the same/or smaller to try.
    I have one or two questions if I can pleas...
    If you are successful with this bin ...totally closed except for around the top edge for the fly to enter
    Why are others adding lights into their bins?
    am i not overlooking something
    Yust me thinking