Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Members

Re: cultivating BSFL for feed

As an administrator of an assisted living facility she has started treating me as one of her residents about to go over the top. I get away with murder. If she thougt I still had all my faculties (I'm not sure I ever did) she would remove me from planet earth.

Quote Originally Posted by bsfman
    Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    You mentioned the bottom is open...?....is there hardware cloth or something like it on the bottom ?
    The bottom is entirely open. It rests on the ground.
    Oh, OK...thanks. In the picture, it's up on blocks. You did mention it was an earlier picture.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    Oh, OK...thanks. In the picture, it's up on blocks. You did mention it was an earlier picture.
    It was up on blocks in the picture because it was just completed and I had just finished painting it. You might notice the 1X2 framework on the open bottom in the photo. I put that there so it could be easily replaced with a fresh 1X2 frame when it starts to dry rot from contact with the soil. (Easier to replace a few 1X2's than both sides of the bin if they were left in contact with the ground)

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

OH, I think I came across your website a while back or maybe the youtube video because I did in fact see this design many moons ago! I actually have it on my list of things to build once I get my farm!!! I could have sworn I asked you (or maybe elsewhere) if I could use Polyurethane to coat the inside. I was planning to try it anyway. Great to have you here bsfman!

BTW, I went this morning to add some BSF to the bucket of rabbit poop I filled yesterday. Well I had the lid on it, and when I opened it I found hundreds of larger larva on the top. Most looked dead. I had some stuff in the bottom of the bucket before for who knows how long. This evening just before sunset I opened it again because I was going to take the dead ones and feed them to the Tilapia, but now there were 3-4 times as many and they were alive! I'm not sure if the others were dead (it was really hot), but who knows... Hopefully they enjoy the treats the rabbits made for them!

This is just great information and ideas. You guys are the gods of Aquaponics and are creating an entire ecology.

What do you feed your soldier flies? You said you have a regimen, where you control the food source. This is a great idea for fish food.

Quote Originally Posted by Bioritize
    This is just great information and ideas. You guys are the gods of Aquaponics and are creating an entire ecology.

What do you feed your soldier flies? You said you have a regimen, where you control the food source. This is a great idea for fish food.
    I have two feed regimens. For the commercial production, I feed Manna Pro Horse feed (about $8.50 for a 50 pound sack). I soak it in water until it gets gooey like mush.

For household waste disposal, I feed kitchen scraps and garbage, parrot, dog and cat poop. They will thrive on just about any type of manure (cow, pig, chicken, rabbit - even human). They do not do well on high cellulose stuff like avacado peels, weeds, plant trimmings, etc. Best to just compost that stuff.

The soldier fly residue is terrific worm chow too. My worms get that exclusively. The effluent (I only co;llect it from my smaller bins) is great duckweed fertilizer when a bit is added to water.

Quote Originally Posted by bsfman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bioritize

I have two feed regimens. For the commercial production, I feed Manna Pro Horse feed (about $8.50 for a 50 pound sack). I soak it in water until it gets gooey like mush.

For household waste disposal, I feed kitchen scraps and garbage, parrot, dog and cat poop. They will thrive on just about any type of manure (cow, pig, chicken, rabbit - even human). They do not do well on high cellulose stuff like avacado peels, weeds, plant trimmings, etc. Best to just compost that stuff.

The soldier fly residue is terrific worm chow too. My worms get that exclusively. The effluent (I only co;llect it from my smaller bins) is great duckweed fertilizer when a bit is added to water.
    That's really good! 25% protein! I wonder if they sell that around here. I'm sure it makes decent rabbit food too!

That's really great. The BSF can convert a lower quality food into a higher quality food, and for free! You lose some of it, but you can always throw in scraps to increase the quality.

BSF....any tips or tricks to get them to come in the 1st place ? I thought I remembered reading that a little milk seems to attract them ...?

Members

yeah, i read something about soaking a couple peaces of bread in milk..
    something about corn as well..