Quote Originally Posted by francois
If you are successful with this bin ...totally closed except for around the top edge for the fly to enter

Quote Originally Posted by bsfman
Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
You mentioned the bottom is open...?....is there hardware cloth or something like it on the bottom ?
The bottom is entirely open. It rests on the ground. I sometimes shovel an inch or so of soil inside before starting up the bin just to seal off any voids between the bottom edge of the bin opening and surface of the ground. The problem most bins have that are designed to drain thru a filter into an effluent collection container is that the filter inevitably becomes clogged, the bottom layer of the bin gets soggy and anaerobic and then you have a stinky, vile mess on your hands when you shovel out the residue to use for worm food or compost. The open bottom solves that. You could add a hardware cloth screen if you felt it necessary, but I've had no problems without one. I have never had any issues with mice or moles or anything entering the bins. I find an occasional anole lizard or tree frog who has found his way inside thru the lid, but given the massive quantities of larvae in the bins, I don't begrudge them the few they may eat.