Quote Originally Posted by bsfman
Quote Originally Posted by Bioritize
This is just great information and ideas. You guys are the gods of Aquaponics and are creating an entire ecology.

What do you feed your soldier flies? You said you have a regimen, where you control the food source. This is a great idea for fish food.
I have two feed regimens. For the commercial production, I feed Manna Pro Horse feed (about $8.50 for a 50 pound sack). I soak it in water until it gets gooey like mush.

For household waste disposal, I feed kitchen scraps and garbage, parrot, dog and cat poop. They will thrive on just about any type of manure (cow, pig, chicken, rabbit - even human). They do not do well on high cellulose stuff like avacado peels, weeds, plant trimmings, etc. Best to just compost that stuff.

The soldier fly residue is terrific worm chow too. My worms get that exclusively. The effluent (I only co;llect it from my smaller bins) is great duckweed fertilizer when a bit is added to water.
That's really good! 25% protein! I wonder if they sell that around here. I'm sure it makes decent rabbit food too!

That's really great. The BSF can convert a lower quality food into a higher quality food, and for free! You lose some of it, but you can always throw in scraps to increase the quality.