After pricing hydroton, I decided to go with a floating raft system on my new setup rather than a flood and drain. I have a few questions for those who have experience with this kind of system.

How far apart and what size should the raft holes be for growing lettuce, herbs, mint, etc?

My rafts are 2" styrofoam. I don't have a local source for net pots so was thinking of using styrofoam cups with holes in the bottoms instead. How deep beneath the bottom of the rafts should the bottoms of the cups protrude?

I don't have a convenient local hydroponics store to buy rock wool cubes, etc. Can I use rock wool from Home Depot or Lowes packed into the cups instead? Or would pea gravel work better?

The grow beds are 2'X3' 9 inch deep mortar mixing tubs. Each will have aeration in the bottom. The inlet will come directly from my mechanical/biofilter so there will be no solids to contend with.

Any tips or advice is appreciated!

Oh yeah - one final question: anybody had success growing strawberries on a floating raft system? I bought two strawberry plants just to play with and wondered if anybody else had tried this.

Thanks!