Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Essential Plant Nutrients

Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    To make it plant available, it often requires the presence of elements that would likely kill your fish and plants. I'm not saying some of the stuff might not become available and quickly, but some of it definitely shouldn't if it's rock.
    They wrote....
    Rock dust is of course, inorganic. And since microbes consume the fine dust easily, they then discharge organically available plant food. The warmer the climate, the more microbes that are available to create plant food.

I think your correct UF...it may take some time. Even though they seem to grind it pretty fine. Fine enough to go through a sprayer.

Also, we don't know what else is in there (it mentions 56 unknown elements).

Personally, I wouldn't use it. We need to know what's in it before we throw it into our little ecosystem.
    They wrote...
    Agrowinn-Minerals (Rock Dust) have an extraordinarily high level of minerals and trace elements (57 different trace elements) in well balanced quantities. (Contact us for a complete trace element list).

UF, you didn't ask for the list..?
    A great researcher would never draw conclussions with out the facts..

There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. - Robert Oppenheimer, 1949
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    To make it plant available, it often requires the presence of elements that would likely kill your fish and plants. I'm not saying some of the stuff might not become available and quickly, but some of it definitely shouldn't if it's rock.
    They wrote....
    Rock dust is of course, inorganic. And since microbes consume the fine dust easily, they then discharge organically available plant food. The warmer the climate, the more microbes that are available to create plant food.

I think your correct UF...it may take some time. Even though they seem to grind it pretty fine. Fine enough to go through a sprayer.

Also, we don't know what else is in there (it mentions 56 unknown elements).

Personally, I wouldn't use it. We need to know what's in it before we throw it into our little ecosystem.
    They wrote...
    Agrowinn-Minerals (Rock Dust) have an extraordinarily high level of minerals and trace elements (57 different trace elements) in well balanced quantities. (Contact us for a complete trace element list).

UF, you didn't ask for the list..?
    A great researcher would never draw conclussions with out the facts..

There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. - Robert Oppenheimer, 1949
    The surface area of the particle changes relevant to the radius by a power of 3. Bacteria require the surface area to be efficient at consuming the minerals. Assuming the dust is say 2mm vs. 0.1 micro meter the surface area would be off by a factor of 8,000,000,000,000 (and that's assuming a sphere). It might seem close, but it's not even close. Just imagine how long that would take if the decomposition rate of the mineral rock is a function of the surface area... JUST IMAGINE!

As far as asking for the list, there's no need. Given the limited number of elements on the periodic table, it can be logically deduced that there are several toxic elements included. Whether the concentration is low or not for 1 dosage, it will accumulate in the system. I still wouldn't do it! I can "show my work" if you want!

UF,

Congratulations, you are now tied for first place in the number of post at 1463.

Oliver
    To measure is to know

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver
    UF,

Congratulations, you are now tied for first place in the number of post at 1463.

Oliver
    Thank you, and WOW! I really am on here too much!

It helps a lot though. Sometimes people challenge me to learn more or sometimes I have to learn more to give people a full answer. I honestly wouldn't know so much about certain aspects of aquaponics if it wasn't for this community!

UF,

Oliver

It helps a lot though. Sometimes people challenge me to learn more or sometimes I have to learn more to give people a full answer. I honestly wouldn't know so much about certain aspects of aquaponics if it wasn't for this community!
    Wow , cool UF...

I have to confess, I have fun razzing you.. :P .... or yanking on your chain... I hope it does give you a chance to learn more... ...and in turn, we learn more from you.
    Thanks again for being such a good sport UF !

Speaking of razzing you....in your above math problem....you went against Mr. Oppenheimer's advice, and 'assumed' the dust was 2 mm.
    Their dust goes through a 2500 screen mesh, which means the particles should only be .005 mm, not the boulder size you used .
    Could you please re-work your math ? :P ...
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    UF,

Oliver

Wow , cool UF...

I have to confess, I have fun razzing you.. :P .... or yanking on your chain... I hope it does give you a chance to learn more... ...and in turn, we learn more from you.
    Thanks again for being such a good sport UF !

Speaking of razzing you....in your above math problem....you went against Mr. Oppenheimer's advice, and 'assumed' the dust was 2 mm.
    Their dust goes through a 2500 screen mesh, which means the particles should only be .005 mm, not the boulder size you used .
    Could you please re-work your math ? :P ...
    Hm... good point. To do the right math I would actually have to know the size the bacteria needs or at least get some data on what sizes react how, but I was just pointing out the difference of power and its effect on the dust in systems. That is very small dust though. Even assuming it reacts fast enough, then you have to consider so many other factors...