Common Problems With Peppers

PROBLEMS

Blossoms drop when temperatures rise above 90. Nighttime temperatures below 60 or above 75 will also cause blossom drop. Normally, peppers will set additional flowers when temperatures moderate. Moisture stress also causes blossom drop.

Blossom end rot is another water stress problem. It appears as a tan, leathery patch at the tip of the fruit as it starts to enlarge. It indicates a past water shortage, often due to fluctuating moisture levels. You may cut away the leathery patch and eat the rest of the fruit.

Water the soil regularly to a depth of 6 inches. Uneven watering causes moisture stress problems. If possible, don't use overhead sprinklers as splashing water can spread diseases from the soil to the plants or from leaf to leaf. Water at the base of the plants instead, or use a soaker hose or drip irrigation system.

White patches on the sides and stem end of the fruit may be signs of sunscald. It occurs when mature green fruit is suddenly exposed to sunlight. The white patch will never ripen. To avoid white patches, don't prune pepper foliage; try to keep leaves healthy so they don't drop on their own.

Aphids feed on new growth and can transmit cucumber mosaic virus. Confuse aphids by placing aluminum foil- covered squares of cardboard on the ground beneath young plants. The reflected light discourages aphids from landing on the plants. You can also wipe aphids off the plants by hand, wash them off with a garden hose or apply insecticidal soap according to directions on the bottle.

SOURCE: The University of Minnesota Extension (H210P)

Re: Common Problems With Peppers

Would diluted castile soap work? I noticed aphids on the center leaves of the peppers and on some of the lettuce leaves.

I have used neem oil and castile soap on insects on house plants but am not sure what to use in the AP system.
    Nothin to it but to do it yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Eleven11
    Would diluted castile soap work? I noticed aphids on the center leaves of the peppers and on some of the lettuce leaves.

I have used neem oil and castile soap on insects on house plants but am not sure what to use in the AP system.
    It might work.

However, I rely on ladybugs and assassin bugs as well as other beneficial insects to get rid of aphids. I actually prefer to let an aphid infestation get out of control on a plant or two at the start of the season because it establishes beneficial colonies in your garden as well as keeps them coming back year after year. It's less work for you, lighter on your wallet, and better for the environment and your system.

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

So you let the aphids get out of control in order to attract the beneficial bugs?

I like the idea of letting bugs get the bugs.... just ordered a pack of 1500 lady bugs from Hirt's.

This should be interesting.

Assassin bugs are interesting too but you can't order those.

I had so many of both in my garden. The assassin bugs were on every plant. It's like they set military outposts to guard everything. What was really cool, is when the plants started fruiting, I would find them on the oldest, largest fruits of the plants. I couldn't believe how synergistic my approach ended up last season. I have done this before with ladybugs, and they're there year round, but last year was the first with a permanent and constant mass of assassin bugs.

The seasons bring things like frogs, lizards, spiders (or maybe they just come and go as they please), but those 2 have been my main line of defense. I can sit in the garden for 10 minutes and witness at least 1 act of bug on bug violence from these 2 groups. It's great.

Actually, the coolest thing I ever witnessed played out over about 20-30 minutes. A wasp of some sort fought a large spider. First the wasp chased the spider down until it slowed it down a bit by tiring it out. They fought and wrestled for a good 10 minutes. The wasp finally won and then hooked 2 legs into the spider and started dragging it across the yard. I couldn't believe it. It just dragged and dragged it. Finally about several yards later it was dragging it by this tiny hole. Out of the hole came a bull frog looking creature and ate the wasp. It sat there like a fat pig for about 10 minutes and then ate the spider. It crawled back in its hole shortly after, presumably to make some babies.

I tried to catch this on camera, I got some of it, but the video didn't come out at all. It was like a live action discovery channel moment...

Members

when you get your ladybugs put them in the fridge,, in the early evening give your plants a nice misting of water, then release some of the ladybugs.. put the remainder back in the fridge.. release more after a couple/few days, and keep doing this till you've released them all..they'll last 6 to 8 weeks in the fridge (it took me about that long to release them all in a small plot anyways)

"Bug on bug violence" lol .... can't we all just get along?

Hey Keith, thanks for the heads up.... makes perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    Actually, the coolest thing I ever witnessed played out over about 20-30 minutes. A wasp of some sort fought a large spider. First the wasp chased the spider down until it slowed it down a bit by tiring it out. They fought and wrestled for a good 10 minutes. The wasp finally won and then hooked 2 legs into the spider and started dragging it across the yard. I couldn't believe it. It just dragged and dragged it. Finally about several yards later it was dragging it by this tiny hole. Out of the hole came a bull frog looking creature and ate the wasp. It sat there like a fat pig for about 10 minutes and then ate the spider. It crawled back in its hole shortly after, presumably to make some babies.
    I agree, that has to be one of the all time COOLEST stories I've ever heard! You could sit out there for the next hundred years and probably never see that happen again. I think the only thing that would have TOPPED that is if a hawk flew out of the air and picked up the frog!
    ------------
    My System: Jeff's Backyard System Here We Go!

That would have made the story unbelievable, literally!