Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perch workshop

Perch workshop

Hey Waterrancher,

In honor of your great participation here, I've given you your very own topic to keep people informed on the Perch issues. Enjoy.

Also, there will be a 1 day workshop in Ohio 3/22/08 at OSU South Centers in Piketon,Ohio. It will cover techniques on perch spawning, egg incubation, fry stocking and pond fertilization. Both talks and hands-on.

Don't know if you'll be able to go, but wanted to let you know anyway.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

Re: Perch workshop

Well thank you, I think. You should know from the start I know nothing of them, other then they eat, poop and handle the cold well.
    Wish that I could attend that workshop. I'm just hoping someone posts the learning stuff somewhere.
    Thanks again.

Members

Hi,
    I will be taking the workshop in Piketon. I took it a couple of years ago. There was so much info. I need to brush up.
    With luck I'll try breeding next year.
    I'm finishing the first barrel plant bed. Should be planting lettuce in a week or so.
    We are in the middle of a snow storm today. Checked the greenhouse this morning. Outside temp was 18 F. inside was 42F. at 9:30am. Water in the tanks was 46F. to 51F. Perch were eating well.
    Oh! we have about 12" of snow and will continue till morning.

Ironfish

Members

Hi,

Went to the Perch school yesterday. Had a good time ,learned more, and met some very interesting people.
    Checked my perch this morning. Found my first egg ribbon in the tank. I put it in a pail with an air stone. they won't survive. I'm not set up for them this year.

KenP

Hey Ironfish,

Don't know what happened to Waterrancher. Perch are his thing but haven't heard from him in a while.

Anyway, Just been sitting on the sidelines waiting for something of interest to come round and now you'v said it.

Why are your Perch eggs not going to hatch? Are they already covered in fungus? Is the water temp correct? Don't let the air bubbles flow over them (touch them). Go to the Fish Pet store and get.....Damn....I can't remember what it's called....it's **** something Blue.....maybe you already know, but it's turns the water blue and protects against fungus forming on the eggs.

Get some brine shrimp eggs and have them set to hatch about the time that the yoke sacs are absorbed and the little perch actually start swimming rather than hopping around.

Man you've got eggs ....never give up the ship..!

Hey Waterrancher....where are you
    Crawdad

Members

I'm here, Thanks for the PM to drag me back.
    Ironfish, how are you housing your perch that they produced egg strands?
    My count is always a bit off but last I checked I have 27 Yellow Perch and was hoping to breed them this year but lacking the knowledge and set up, my time has passed so will try again next go round.
    Can you share some info from your experience with them, Mine are eating like little piggies and I expect some great growth this year. This batch will be my breeders I hope.
    Thanks in advance.

Members

Hi Crawdad & Waterrancher,
    The majority of the fish farmers in Ohio are using ponds. There are some using recirulating tanks, there a few of us doing aquaponics ( with more getting interested in it). Part of the people there just throw old Xmas trees into the water with a line staked to the bank. when the temp is right they will continually check for ribbons. Then they will harvest them, taking them indoors.
    What the others do, which they showed us, was milking the females and the males. They use a hormone injection in the females to induce spawning in a orderly timeline. They use small tanks and hang the ribbons off racks or chicken wire crowns. they then have a small water flow about 1/2 gal. per hour. and an air stone with light bubbling.
    When the fry hatch the are removed and counted then put into ponds that are seeded with algae. the algae is the food for the zooplankton. The zooplankton are the food for the fry.
    We were told that indoor raising of fry was almost impossible ( not economical). This is why I doubt mine will survive. I don't have a pond. It doesn't mean I wouldn't try. I hate to be told I can't!
    The critical time is about 12 - 18 days. when the ponds will start to clear. Meaning the algae can't reproduce fast enough and the whole pond crashes.
    I met a guy from Bell Aquaculture there. It is a 10 million dollar operation. He said the owner doesn't let anyone in.
    The people who came in the farthest was a father son team from Quebec.
    You asked about my tanks. I have 3 (300gal) totes. The tank with the ready perch (8"+)
    has 85 perch. I was going to send them to the processor, but he wanted 100 lds min. So I let them winter over.
    A guy from work wants 10 lds live weight so i'll be getting up at 3 am and pack them ice.

Ironfish

Members

Hi Ironfish,
    Good stuff. Did you have anything in your totes for the egg strand to attach to? I will keep trying to get them to breed indoors as well. I dont know about the economic side of it but it beats paying for fry each year. How could that not be a win?
    Your totes are the IBC's
    I've missed the boat on any eggs this year so will just let them get fat and mature a bit then seperate a few into a breeding pond and see how that goes, the pond will be nothing more then a tank with (work in progress here), a deep and shallow end.
    My hope is they will come shallow to lay the egg mass. I'm planning to go as natural as I can, mother nature has done the hard work I just need to figure out the best way to give them room to do it.
    Tell me more about your set up?

Members

Hi Waterrancher,
    Yes IBC's are called totes here. Where are you at? Missed the boat? I'm in Ohio, south of Cleveland 60mi. West of Mansfield 30mi. southwest of Akron 35 mi. Piketon is on the Ohio River and the perch there are just starting to spawn. This area will have a couple of weeks. Water temp. needs to be about 50 - 55 degrees.
    I agree, I rather not pay for fingerlings.
    They recommend 4 males to 1 female for spawning. The ribbons have 20,000 - 30,000 eggs on them. the ribbons look like lace about 1 -1 1/2 " wide. The sperm is activated when it hits the water. The ribbon becomes very sticky and attaches to anything vertical. If the ribbon lays on the bottom it will die. It needs water all around it. The ribbon puts off ammonia and co2, This will cause it to float. It needs to be held down. At South Centers they made up chicken wire crowns (size will depend on the container). Some times these will float!
    Your tank sounds fine. Making up a artificial forest at one end, for them to weave in and out should be all that is needed. Then have a way to remove the eggs or the adults to a separate tank.
    I agree natural is best.
    You can see most of my setup here - < diyaquaponics.com/kenp.php > I'm still working on the grow beds.

Ironfish

Members

Nice set up Ironfish,
    When I said missed the boat I ment I'll not be set up to breed this year. I plan on moving my GH an set up to another area where we have a bit more land to play with, zoning laws permitting.
    I'm in LeMars. Iowa, just north a bit from Sioux City, and South of Sioux Falls, S. Dak.
    Keep up the good work!